1635 5
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
incarnadin
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am trying to implement a button for each record in an interface that increments a field in the record. 

I can get this working in grid view with a button field and a script. But when I go to the interface, all the buttons are disabled.

I can get this working in an Records Review or List layout interface with a interface button element and an automation with a script in it. But the user has to click on each record to open the record detail view to see the button. 

Is there a way to put an enabled button visible for each record in an interface? 

5 Replies 5
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

You have discovered that button fields and button elements are very different in Airtable. 

Button fields that run scripts (or open any extension) do not work in interfaces. The only button fields that work in interfaces are button fields that open URLs. 

One option is to convert your automation script so that it is triggered by a checkbox or single-select field instead of a button. That way the user can edit the checkbox or select field in an interface grid to run the automation. It is much slower than scripting extension, and it’s not a button experience, but it should provide the functionality you want. Be sure to have the automation clear the checkbox or single-select so that it is easy to retrigger the automation. 

@kuovonne wrote:

refrigerate the automation

brrrr 🥶❄️

Lol. I type a lot on my phone. And I am a lousy speller. And autocorrect.

incarnadin
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I thought it was some kind of cool Airtable term I wasn't hip on the lingo enough to recognize! 😅

I didn't get this working. I mean I implemented it but it didn't provide the experience I wanted. Instead, I made a form where users could choose the records instead of pressing buttons on an interface. Then I had an automation run when they submitted the form. The UX is still not the best because I couldn't find a way to have form with a true multiselect that selects records from another table. They can select multiple records, but they have to keep pressing the "add+" button. But it is working.

bcrossley
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

If we can get just a button in lists to update a record 99% of my problems would be solved