Help

Form doesn't allow user to upload files?

Topic Labels: Interface Designer
147 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Airtable_Padaw1
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I created an "upgraded" form and gave users commenter access to the base and workspace. However, when they try to upload a file (images to be specific), they get an "invalid permissions" error. 

Is there a setting that I am missing? I tried out this setup with the old forms and it seemed to work. 

4 Replies 4
Sistema_Aotearo
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Are these images straight from your phone? I think the iPhone photos aren't saved as jpg or png but as HEIC. This may be part of the issue.

But if you're uploading jpg or png from your computer I'm not too sure.

Hi @Sistema_Aotearo , nope file format doesn't seem to be the issue. Thanks though!

Uploading files works fine for me in the new forms, so if you can get the old forms to work but not the new forms, then I would report it to support@airtable.com so they can investigate.

In the meantime, you can either use the old forms or use Fillout’s advanced forms for Airtable. I typically turn to Fillout first, because it is 100% free and it offers about 500 advanced features that Airtable’s native forms don’t offer.

— ScottWorld, Expert Airtable Consultant 

Airtable now has three types of forms

- form views. These are the original forms and can be filled out by the public.

- interface designer form layout pages. These are created in interface designer, and they appear in interfaces. However, they require editor permissions in order to be used. I'm guessing this is the type of form you have. They are not working for your users because they have only commentator permissions.

- form builder forms. These are created in interface designer, but they do NOT appear in interfaces. They can be filled out by the public.

If you rebuild your form in the public form builder, your users should be able to fill them out. However, they will need a button that will open the form in a new browser window, and the form will not appear as a page in the interface.