567 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeterJNCK
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello, this is my first post here, so I apologize in advance if I have chosen the wrong location or have too lame question.

I am designing a database to track people's time on projects. I have three tables: People, Time, and Projects (which is synced from another base). In the Time table, there is a list of time entries. Alongside other fields, each entry is linked to one People record and one Projects record.

What I would like to achieve is a List view of the Projects with the following structure:

- Project (sum of all time - this I can accomplish with Rollup)
--- People (with the sum of time spent on the particular project)
------ Time entries

However, it's not working because there is no direct linked connection between People and Projects. I can create a Lookup field to show me this data, but that doesn't work in a hierarchical structure.

Only solution I have so far is to manually add each person to specific project, but I don't like that workflow 🙂 I would like to know how many hours a particular person has spent on a specific project.

Thank you,
Peter

1 Reply 1

re: Only solution I have so far is to manually add each person to specific project, but I don't like that workflow 

If you want to view it as a hierarchal list, I think this has to be done I'm afraid.  You could make an automation handle the linking for you so that you don't have to deal with the manual side of things?

---
re: I would like to know how many hours a particular person has spent on a specific project.

For this, you're going to need a table where each record represents a single person on a single project I think: 

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 1.15.13 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 1.15.16 PM.png
Link to base