Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Preset, click-into-record views. Why not transferable??

332 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GrahamW
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Airtable Community,

I have a question regarding building interfaces in Airtable, specifically about building custom click-into-record preset views.

When setting up an interface, I can configure it so that clicking into a record displays detailed information in a customizable preset view. However, I’ve noticed that if I set up a different interface with some of the same information, there's no straightforward way to access the preset views from the other interface.

For example, let's say I have two interfaces within the same base, both involving organizational data. If I set up a customizable preset view for records in one interface, I can't directly use that same view in the second interface unless I recreate it manually. This seems like a duplication of effort.

I’m curious to understand the reasoning behind this. Is there a specific logic or benefit to not being able to share customizable preset views across different interfaces within the same base?

I welcome thoughts and insights from others who might have encountered the same situation or who can shed light on this design choice.

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 Reply 1

It probably concerns how Airtable expects us to build and organize our interfaces. We can do this very thing across the different pages of the interface, but not across the entire base.

One of the great features of using the same record detail module is that a button to trigger an Automation can now be used across multiple pages. Whereas before, I'd have to create multiple Automations to run from different pages.

Now, I agree that it might be handy to at least save templates somewhere. Templates for scripts, interfaces, forms etc. My only solution for you is to think about how your interface pages are categorized. It depends on each user's use case, so sometimes there's no better way.

I myself have had to rearrange my interface pages to work better with what Airtable has given us.

Justin Ng
Programme Coordinator at Sistema Aotearoa
https://www.sistemaaotearoa.org.nz/