287 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobwilliams
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have an Airtable table that contains Requests and another that contains Devices. Both share a common link record to a Company table. A Company has a 1 to many relations to both Devices and Requests. Also, there's a 1 to 1 mapping between Requests and Devices.

I'd like to have an Airtable Interface where I look at all "open" Requests and based on that Request's company field, choose an "available" Device mapped to the same company to be linked to that Request.

Is this possible and if so, any guidance on how to go about that?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@bobwilliams 

You don't need any automations for this, because dynamic filtering is now available in linked record fields.

Also, dynamic filtering can also be used in all parts of Airtable, including interfaces. Although there are some limitations on which field types can be used.

More information in this Airtable support article:
https://support.airtable.com/docs/dynamic-filtering-in-linked-record-fields

Hope this helps! If you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with anything Airtable-related, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4
jsep
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I'm afraid is right now is not possible to that in interfaces, because there is not support for dynamic filtering in interfaces yet.

However, I have a workaround that could suit your needs:

1. Create a New Field: In your Requests table, add a new field named "Request's Devices." This should be set up as a linked record field to your Devices table. The idea is to populate this field with devices that belong to the same company as the request.

2. Automate Device Linking:

• Set up an automation that triggers when a Request is created or updated. This automation should find all devices related to the same company as the request and link these devices in the "Request's Devices" field.
    • Similarly, when a Device is added or updated , you'll need another automation to update the "Request's Devices" field for all relevant requests too.

With this setup,  you can then use the "Request's Devices" field as a source for displaying a grid in the Interface.

If this process seems complex or if you're looking for a customized solution, feel free to book a call with me. I'm here to help simplify your Airtable setup.

@bobwilliams 

You don't need any automations for this, because dynamic filtering is now available in linked record fields.

Also, dynamic filtering can also be used in all parts of Airtable, including interfaces. Although there are some limitations on which field types can be used.

More information in this Airtable support article:
https://support.airtable.com/docs/dynamic-filtering-in-linked-record-fields

Hope this helps! If you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with anything Airtable-related, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld

Ok, thank you, I see now. It looks like I'll need at least the Team plan for this, I'm exploring Airtable as an option right now and see that I'd need a paid plan to explore that feature but it does seem to provide exactly what I'm wanting.

jsep
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Scott is right, you can use dynamic filtering to choose the devices, from the same company as the request. 

Here's a how you can create the dynamic filter: 

chrome-capture-2024-3-10.gif

If you need more help feel free to schedule call with me.