cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan_Howard
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi all,

I’m looking to have an attendee check-in system made. I began playing with things and just hit a huge brick wall on everything, so I’m interested in help.

Details:

We run a convention. Attendees pre-register using Eventbrite. They can also pre-purchase merchandise as an add-on to their tickets.

We export the Attendee List from Eventbrite as a CSV file. Due to how Eventbrite works, we also export a completely separate CSV file for merchandise.

The Attendee List is pretty straightforward and self-explanatory. The Merchandise List lists every item as a separate entry with a quantity. (So for example, if Jane Doe bought 1 Large Shirt, 2 Medium Shirts, and a Lanyard, there would be 3 row entries for Jane Doe with identical order numbers, one row listing Large Shirt with a Quantity of 1, one row listing Medium Shirt with a Quantity of 2, and one row listing Lanyard with a Quantity of 1. Ideally we’d combine these 3 rows into 1 row while keeping the unique merchandise and quantity data)

What we ULTIMATELY WANT from our Airtable Database:

• We want multiple mobile devices (android tablets with keyboard attachments) to be able to access and search the database at the same time.
  • We want our staff to be able to search for a Pre-Registered attendee by either First Name, Last Name, E-Mail, or Order #
  • We want to be able to search for the above via live type (ie, as I type Jan, all entries that have Jan in any of those fields begin to appear without hitting enter) and via partial type (ie, if I type ane, all entries that have ane, including Jane, in any of those fields appear)
  • In the search results (before any attendee has been selected), we want to be able to see:

First Name, Last Name, E-Mail, Order Number
Checked In: (check box that will turn the attendee’s box from Red to Green when selected)
Note (If the attendee has a note, the word Note will appear. If there is no note, no word appears)
Has Merch (If the attendee has pre-purchased Merch, the word Merch will appear. If not, no word appears.)

From here, again without selecting any attendee, only still at the list of results, our staff can either hit the checkbox to check the attendee in (and turn their result box Green to stand out from un-checked in attendees), OR if the words “Note” or “Has Merch” are present, they can tap the attendee result and pull up the full entry for the attendee.

In the full entry, it has all the above data, plus any notes that have been entered (for example, Note: free badge contest winner) and also a merch list. Using the above example:

Jane Doe
example@example.com
Order #: 12345678

Checked In: [__]

Note:
free badge contest winner

Merch
Large T-Shirt x 1
Medium T-Shirt x 2
Lanyard x 1

*The Note field should either be a free-type field to add more notes, or there should be an “Add Note” button where they can type additional information into the Note field.

From here they can Close & Save or Close Without Save and return to the search bar.

Additional:
Perhaps on the main page there is a “Checked In” count that shows the total number of Checked In attendees. Also possibly a way to show all attendees, or show only attendees that haven’t checked in yet while searching.

Difficulties:
Honestly the biggest kink in all of this is the damn Merchandise and Eventbrite’s garbage way of exporting it. All merchandise is tied to the Order ID and not the person, so where a family of 3 may order only 3 shirts, each family member in the order may show as having 3 shirts each, for a total of 9 shirts. I’m uncertain if this is the case or an easy fix for it. Add that to the fact that each merch item is its own row in its CSV file that needs to be consolidated, it got too much for me to figure out.

Scanning:
We’d also like to be able to use a scanning attachment to scan barcodes to search for an attendee. To my knowledge, the barcode correlates to the Order #, so once scanned in, it could be treated as searching the Order Number in the search field, and treated normally from there.

I think that’s it. That is entirely everything I can think of. Please feel free to reply here or message me here for more information or if you’d like to take on the job.

I feel like the job is fairly simple minus the Merchandise confusion, so if at all possible, please include a rough price you’d charge for the job. Thanks a bunch!

2 Replies 2
Andrew_Johnson1
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hi Bryan,
I have worked on some pretty similar projects in the past and would be glad to help you out on this.
You can reach me on andrewjohnson56782@gmail.com
Best Wishes,
Andrew

Thanks a bunch! E-mailed!