1411 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richard_Duke
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello, I am using Airtable to manage a small 3d printing workshop.

I am looking for someone who can help automate a very tedious task, presumably by developing a community based app.

The end result is that Id like to have a 2d image automatically generated and placed in an attachments field, the 2d image needs to be that of whatever 3d STL file is contained in another attachments field for the same entry.

The image is used in the Kanban view as a means of easily identifying the part/job as it progresses through production, and the image will also be used in the page designer block for printing a part label, ideally the image needs to be grey scale for ease of black/white label printing.

Currently I manually load the 3d STL file into a 3d viewer such as Windws 3D Builder, take a screen shot, and save the screen shot in the entrys attachments field.

KanBan view:

Page Designer, to print label:

7 Replies 7
Deep_Vyas
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi Richard,
I am interested to discuss further in details to offer solutions.
Please can you let me know availability for same.

Check your inbox for details

Regards
Deep

Airtable Expert | S: deepvyas71 | E: deepvyas71@gmail.com
Andres_at_Conne
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi Richard, we can help. I’ll send you a PM

Andrew_Johnson1
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hi Richard,
Sounds like an interesting project and something that is right up my alley of expertise.
I would be interested in helping you build this out.
You can reach me on andrewjohnson56782@gmail.com
Best Wishes,
Andrew

Paul_Markovits
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi Richard
Autodesk (who I work for) has a series of web-services to transform and visualise 3D models. The Model Derivative API (APIs | Autodesk Forge) allows you to programatically send STL files to the service to be translated into Thumbnail snapshots of varying sizes (up to 400 x 400). So this might be of use to you in the solution. There is also an Online Viewer to view and interact with the native 3D model if needed. Interestingly the model derivative API can also extract geometric and meta-data properties from the model too. Also if there are other data points stored in the model that you need to drive your manufacturing process (part volume, material etc) these could be extracted too and imported into your AT base to avoid manual entry.
Best

GavinA
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hi Richard,

This is very similar to a project I have completed already. Have sent you a video demo.

Would love to help!

Gav

Tasker
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Richard, I’m evaluating Airtable as a means to manage our 3D Printing service at Boston University.  I’d love to hear how it’s working for you!

Richard_Duke
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I tried playing around with a few options of my own, but have been unsuccessful thus far. I m eager to find a solution, and bonus if there is potential to grab certain 3d model information such as surface area and volume.