Help

Re: Automatically see if long text field contains text from single line text field in another table

683 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daniela_Orozco
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi!

I’m trying to find a way to see if a long text field contains what’s in a single line text field from another table on the same base? For example, Table A has a list of different ingredients (one per record), and Table B has a list of recipes with all ingredients that are needed for each recipe in a long text field. I’m trying to automatically see if one of the ingredients on Table B is part of the single line text field ingredients on Table A, then maybe use an IF formula to create tags and tell me how many we have vs we don’t have. Ideally all this would happen automatically when we add a new recipe/record, since I’m using image to text to grab all the ingredients quickly and won’t be selecting one by one of the ingredients of Table A.

Is there a way to see if the list of Ingredients from Table B contain the Ingredients from Table A? Would I need to first break the list of ingredients into single ingredients by separating through a comma or something like that? I’ve been reading different articles on Lookup fields and formulas all week but I haven’t been able to find a solution that I feel is staring right at me.

Thank you so much for your help!

3 Replies 3

Hi Daniela, you hit the nail on the head here. The question then becomes whether you’d like ingredients that don’t currently exist in Table B to be created or not

Here’s a gif of comma separated values being pasted into linked fields:
Paste in

The table Ingredients - New records NOT allowed’s primary field is a formula field, and as a result new records won’t be created when you paste the ingredient list into the linked field

As I don’t know what your next step is after identifying the ingredients, I figured I’d show you both options. What’re you planning on doing with the data after?

I was thinking like, do you need to key in the amount used per ingredient and stuff? Would you then have to calculate whether your current ingredient store had enough? etc etc

Hi Adam! My idea is to get a pop-up if we don’t have the ingredient, so we can get it through another tool. Would you mind sharing how you did the adding to the "ingredients"column on youg gif? I can’t seem to replicate :upside_down_face:

Thank you!

I copied the value in the Ingredient List field and pasted it into the linked fields. You could also do this via an automation too depending on your workflow

Ah, yeah, you’d probably want new records to be created in the Ingredients table then I think