cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andrew_Edsall
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi all,

While I have known about Airtable for several years, I recently became independent and am looking to use Airtable to organize my new company, as well as projects in my personal life. It looks like a great and very useful tool.

I started learning classical guitar a few years ago, and see that Airtable could be a great tool to replace past efforts - especially if I can get the forms working right. This is where I am having trouble.

This is the structure of the course (big to small):

• Grade (currently 8 grades)
  • Unit (20 units, typically 2~3 units per grade)
  • Lesson (approximately 10 lessons per unit)
  • Exercise (approximately 10 exercises per lesson)
    • Each exercise is done at tempo for a certain number of times, and I may do the same exercise several times at different tempos.

I also created tables that contain Scales, Technical Routines, and Performance pieces. Naturally, there is some overlap with some lesson exercises and scales.

I want to be able to create a form, where you will choose the grade, unit, and lesson, and then be able to put in the exercises and different tempos. I think it would be better to choose this from the Lesson form. However, I cannot get the other information to show easily.

I have watched a few videos on YouTube, and am fairly competent with Google docs and other spreadsheet programs. I also looked in the Airtable Universe and Template libraries for a similar function (similar to an exercise log (upper body --> chest --> bench press --> 3 sets, 10 reps, 50kg). Even the Pocket Gym template is close to what I am looking for, but misses the mark. The log file shows different exercises on different dates, but does not fully connect the two. The user is putting the weights and sets in notes - not in the columns for weight, reps, and sets…

Any advice or pointers would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

3 Replies 3

Hi @Andrew_Edsall,

Forms will only populate one table, it cannot populate different tables. But it can pull information from different tables.

So basically, you can have a Table (whether existing or new) that has several Fields linked to the other tables. This is doable.

If this is what you are looking for, let me know how I can help you.

BR,
Mo

Hi @Mohamed_Swellam,

Thank you for your reply. I started from scratch and was able to make a form that does pretty much what I wanted it to do.

After some searching, it seems that some sort of nested table solution might be appropriate.

Grade 1 --> Unit 2 --> Lesson 5 --> Exercise 7 --> 3 reps @ 60bpm
Grade 5 --> Unit 12 --> Lesson 5 --> Exercise 7 --> 5 reps @ 80bpm

Because of the way the course is set up, units are different numbers. There are currently 20 units across 8 grades. So if I am in Grade 5, I do not want to choose Unit 2. In addition, Lessons have different titles, and exercises sometimes have different title features.

Any advice in how to set this up?

Hi @Andrew_Edsall,

Id like to see a screenshot of your table where you are setting up the form so i would understand it better.

If you cannot post it here (because you need the Basic Badge to do so) feel free to send it to my email mohamedswellam@hotmail.com