3807 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tim_Wilson
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I have a table with information about kids on a team I coach. I have a field for their birthdates and use that to calculate their age divisions. I’d like to use a calendar view to show upcoming birthdays, but the calendar view based on their birthdates doesn’t work, of course, because their birthdates aren’t in the current year. Is there a way to do this?

26 Replies 26
Lance_Recker
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I would have to try this, but here’s an idea: what about extracting the month and day from the birthdate using a formula and then concatenating them back together with the current year to get their birthday?

I tried this in a base I have containing an employee hire date field. To create a column with their hire date anniversary day, I created a new field containing the formula below.

CONCATENATE(MID({Hire Date}, 1, 2), MID({Hire Date}, 3, 4), YEAR(TODAY()))

This formula basically takes select pieces from the hire date (the month + the day) and adds the current year based upon today and then joins them all together. Once you try this and everything looks ok, you’ll then have to convert the column from formula type to date type and create a calendar view based upon that date.

76b1e03aa99ca65267fe2b152f28b1dbfb9adf19.png

Mics_Sky
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Another way:
You can try this and use the optional parameters if needed and make sure you are in US format ( didn’t try myself !).

DATETIME_PARSE ( “’”
& MONTH( {Hire Date} )
& “-”
& DAY( {Hire Date} )
&"-"
& YEAR(TODAY(), [ format ], [‘locale’] )

Tim_Wilson
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Thanks for the replies. I tried the datetime_parse approach, but didn’t realize that you can coerce a formula into a date. I’ll play with this some more. Thanks again.

Emma_Dicks
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have the same issue

What do you need help with?

Tim_Wilson
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

The calendar views will only display Date fields. Unless it’s possible to take a formula field and force Airtable to treat it like a date, I haven’t found a way to make this work yet.

I’ve been able to do it repeatedly. Using the formula I provided above, I am able to produce the date I need. Then, after the formula has been applied, I can change the field type from formula to date type. Once done, it can then be used for a calendar view.

Here’s a quick GIF showing how I did it.
40177dec4c17e8a1afd750ce48f3395b9475a5da.gif

And here is the resulting calendar view.
Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 10.17.08 PM.png

Tim_Wilson
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I tried it again, and your solution using the CONCATENATE function works. I was unable to get it to work with the DATETIME_PARSE approach. Thanks for the help, Lance.