Help

Re: Can I ask payment for a copy of my base?

670 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richard_Kranend
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Just discovered the possibility of sharing your bases on Universe.
Is it possible to ask users for a payment before making a copy?

Or is there another way to allow people to copy your base for a remuneration?

5 Replies 5

In the Universe, the answer is no. They can copy whatever you published to the Universe.

However, you could create a basic version in the Universe, then link to a Premium version in the Universe description somewhere else.

Here’s an example where I’ve done this with my Book Tracker

Thanks Hannah! I’ll check it out. Also using Gumroad, that should make it easier for me.

You’re welcome! Good luck.

Wow, just discovering the Universe. It looks great. Hannah, do you find you get a lot of visibility and sales by publishing your base on the Universe? And does it redirect to the Premium? I saw you use a bit.ly link, which might help you identify the source of the sales. Keen to hear your experience on this!

Hey Cecile!

Glad you discovered the Universe! So many awesome templates and ideas.

I typically write blog articles for the templates for SEO purposes. I wrote an article about the Book Tracker and I think it’s helped drive downloads. I also get Airtable referral credits and it seems it’s from that article (I should probably track that better!)

I have a Notion template that has done decent because of an article on my site.

When the Universe first started, there was more traction. I don’t see as much as I used to, but it’s still the #37 top template (that’s increased from about #50 a year ago)

I’ve had the Free version of it out since 2018. I recently revamped it and added the Premium version, so not a lot of data yet. I do use the bitly link, so I can keep track of clicks and where it’s coming from.