Help

Re: Cannot add Multi-select options to a form based on a linked field?

1051 6
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jordan_Braunste
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi there!

I’m having an issue where I can’t add certain multi-select options to a form view that are referenced in another linked table.

For example, in one table called “Groups”, there’s a series of options like A,B,C that a group organizer can set.

In another table called “Participants”, (linked to Groups), I want the ability to reference those options to be selectable in a form to be filled out by the participants.

However, any referenced or linked field does NOT appear as an available field to use in my Participants Table form, even though I can see them in grid view. I’ve tried every formula I can think of.

What am I missing, or is there a workaround where I can duplicate data in a referenced column so it becomes “native” to that table and I can put it in a form?

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

Hi Jordan, if I’m understanding you right, you’ve got a multi-select field in the Groups table that has the options A, B, C, and you’ve got another table Participants where you have a form and want a multi-select field with the same options to show up there?

If so, I think the closest you’re going to get to this is the creation of a new table that contains the options A, B, C, and then creating a linked field to said new table in both the Groups and the Partipcipants table I’m afraid

The linked field would allow users to pick from the records in this new table, and changes to the table would reflect on both the Groups and Participants table

Thanks Adam! This solution had occurred to me but I was hoping I wouldn’t have to do it that way. It makes the form look terrible. Appreciate the input.

Hmm…well, we could consider using a script in an automation to keep the two multi-select fields updated?

So you’d have a table with the options, and then set up an automation where, if any of the records in that table changed, we’d update the multi-select fields’ options to match?

Would this be a custom script or something I can select from the formula library?

It’d be a custom script. Are you on a Pro account? If so I’ll whip something up for you (scripts can only be run on automations on Pro accounts)

I am on a pro account. That’s very kind of you!

Hi Jordan, hah, this turned out to be way more involved than I thought it would be.

As you can see from the gif below, both the fields Multiple Select in Table 1 and Table 2 have their options updated to match the records in the Multiple Select Options field.

This works via a script that gets triggered whenever any of the Update checkboxes in the Multiple Select Options table gets updated

multiple select

I’ve DMed you a link to the table!