741 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grunty
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I've been unable to find or devise a way of chaining two actions in a row, triggered from a button on an interface.

I'd like to automate two actions with a single button:

1. run a script to prepare some data and,
  2. take the user to another interface, where those data will be presented to support another activity.

Both actions are offered as separate options by the interface editor for a button, but I want to have them consecutively executed with a single keystroke, that is, associated to a single button.

Anyone that can provide an idea / suggestion, I'll be happy to know.

Thank you.

3 Replies 3

An automation cannot take a user to a different interface. The automation runs on Airtable's servers and doesn't actually know who triggered it or what computer the computer is on.

This is a classic reason why automations alone are not enough for adding business logic to robust apps.

Grunty
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Yes I was aware of that. Both actions are offered as separate options for a button, the second one has nothing to do with automation, just a browser action.

This was a rather pessimistic query, in case some wizard thought of a workaround that does the trick. I will have to stick to using two buttons, one to prepare the data and the other to lead the user to the other screen.

Thank you.

Well, if you want to go into the theoretical realm of what is possible, you could have a button field that calls a Make.com webhook, then have the Make scenario trigger the automation, and also return a webpage that redirects to a custom interface page with query parameters set via the scenario. However, the result would still open in a new browser window. So it is theoretically possible, but probably not really worth the effort.