Help

Re: Change field order in record view/Expanded view?

5786 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scorance
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have a “Links” table. The primary field is a friendly name and the second column is a URL. When I view this record from a linked table, the URL is the 3rd entry down. There is another field above it.

How can I reorder these?

image.png

And here is the column order in the links table:

Name | URL | Namespace | Type | Server | Participants

22 Replies 22
Phung_Thanh_Cuo
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have the same problem. How can I reorder the fields in expanded view?

So I don’t know if this is a zombie post back from the dead, or if your 4-hour old post was mis-datestamped, but you change the order of fields directly on the form itself: ‘Grab’ the field name and drag it to where you want it to be in sequence.

If you did figure this out yourself 229 days ago, never mind…

I tried this, and this does not seem to work. Just wondering if I’m missing something. When I click and drag, it just highlights the field name. Thoughts? image.png

Well, I have absolutely no idea why I thought the original question was about reordering fields in form views rather than expanded records. (I see my reply was written at 6:20 a.m., so maybe I was waiting for the coffee-maker to finish.)

The order of fields (and which fields are hidden) in an expanded record is determined by their order in the current view.

The order of fields (and which fields are hidden) in a linked record reached by ‘drilling through’ from another record is determined by their order in that table’s default view — that is, the table’s first or upper-most listed view. However you configure that view — regardless of whichever type of view it may be — determines the visibility and order of fields when accessed as a linked record.

The drag-and-drop method I so confusingly mentioned applies only to ordering fields in a form view:
formView

Marc_Evrard

What about when the view is a Calendar?
For instance in the Kanban view, it’s possible by changing the items’ order in the “Customize cards” menu, but this menu is only applicable to the Kanban cards, not to the calendar items. By the way, even though calendar items aren’t kanban cards, that would be great to have this customization option for them as well.

Matt from Airtable here! Within a few months, we plan on adding functionality to rearrange field order in expanded record views by dragging and dropping.

Until that functionality exists, it is not currently possible to directly rearrange the field order in a calendar view, as you’ve noticed. However, a workaround exists: set up another view (such as a grid view) with your desired field order, then use the copy view configuration flow to copy the field order from the other view to the calendar view.

Nice, this works perfectly! Thanks.

JEsus_Ubach
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Matt_Bush ; in the new feature, would be possible to add in a single row multiple fields in the expanded view ?
Thank you!!!

Spencer_Allen
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hey @Matt_Bush! Any word on the progress for this?
It’d be great to be able to customize expanded view without having to change the column view, as I often have a difference between each, and this would dramatically help with my workflow.