cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
corarene
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer
Hello 

Is there a way to copy data into airtable by copy and paste. My airtable table has a link field that points to another table. In google sheets I have the current data where I need to copy some missing records maybe a handful. Is there any way to copy in that link Field. I can copy to any of the other data fields that are not link. But it seems that I have to select the plus and manually enter the location is the link field. Is that correct
Sorry for w newbie question
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

You should be able to paste into a linked field fine, and Airtable will either automatically link to records in that other table or create new records there.  Note that Airtable treats strings as a comma separated list, so if you paste in "1, 2, 3", Airtable treats that as 3 records, not 1

If you're pasting into a linked field and nothing is happening, possible explanations could be:
1. The primary field in the linked table is a formula field
2. You do not have permissions to create new records in the other table

If neither of the above help, could you provide screenshots of the tables and fields in question, as well as an example of the data you're pasting in?

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
TheTimeSavingCo
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

You should be able to paste into a linked field fine, and Airtable will either automatically link to records in that other table or create new records there.  Note that Airtable treats strings as a comma separated list, so if you paste in "1, 2, 3", Airtable treats that as 3 records, not 1

If you're pasting into a linked field and nothing is happening, possible explanations could be:
1. The primary field in the linked table is a formula field
2. You do not have permissions to create new records in the other table

If neither of the above help, could you provide screenshots of the tables and fields in question, as well as an example of the data you're pasting in?

Thank you, Yes I believe it's because my primary field is a concatenate formula' Is there a workaround?

Hmm...you could try to use an automation for this?  If you're only creating one record in the other table for each record in your main table, that'd be simple enough: have an automation that triggers when X field is not empty and the linked field to the other field is empty, and its action would be to create a record in that other table and link it back to the triggering record

If you're creating multiple records, you could try creating a multiple select field and pasting your values into that.  You'd then have an automation similar to the one above, except you'd add a repeating group into it and use the multiple select field as a list and create one record per multiple select option