cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ckennedy
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi,

I’m experimenting with the RLP with DNA 2023 Airtable template.  I’m trying to personalize the column headings and can’t figure out how to do what I want after reading the Airtable help.  Can someone please tell me the following?  It's really a general question about copying/pasting a column field from one tab to another.

I made a new field called “My Tree” and inserted it on the DNA Match Details tab.  But, now how do I insert that same “My Tree” column on the Kit Access tab?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
siliceous
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@ckennedy,

It can take some time to get used to Airtable's features if fairly you're new. To insert a field on the left of the 'Transferred To' field in the 'Kit Access' table -

1. Right click on the 'Transferred To' column name.
  2. Select 'Insert left'.
  3. Enter your new field name for this linked record field.
  4. Select "Link to another record" as the field type.
  5. Select the 'DNA Match Details' table to link to that table.
  6. You should get a popup asking if you want to add lookup fields.
  7. Toggle the 'MY TREE' field to also create a field in the 'Kit Access' table that will contain the same data as is contained in the 'DNA Match Details' table.

Good luck!

See Solution in Thread

7 Replies 7
ckennedy
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi again,

I can't seem to edit my original question on this board; however, I think I may not want to copy/paste a column heading from 1 table to another.  Rather, I think I want to "manage fields," so I can have the same field appear on more than 1 table.  That's really my question.  How do I accomplish inserting the "My Tree" that is in 1 table to another tab/table?  Thanks!

siliceous
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi @ckennedy,

If you're wanting to have the same field/column appear on a different table and also display all of the cell data from the column, you'll need to link the tables using Linked records.

'Manage fields' is only available per table. You can't manage all fields for all tables in one place.

Thanks for your reply.  I'm just at the beginning stages of learning about Airtable.  I've watched some videos, but still don't understand.  I'm trying to get the column heading and data under "My Tree" from the DNA Match Details tab to also appear in the "Tree Access" tab in the column before "Transferred To."  Do you have an idea for me?  Thanks so much.1 My Tree on RLP with DNA 2023 DNA Match Details tab.jpg2 - My Tree on Kit Access Tab.jpg

I meant also appear in the Kit Access tab right before "Transferred to."

@ckennedy,

I've already described how to do this above. ☝️

Here's some further reading on linked records - https://www.airtable.com/guides/build/connect-data-with-linked-records

Thanks for the link.  I've read that but will read it again.

siliceous
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@ckennedy,

It can take some time to get used to Airtable's features if fairly you're new. To insert a field on the left of the 'Transferred To' field in the 'Kit Access' table -

1. Right click on the 'Transferred To' column name.
  2. Select 'Insert left'.
  3. Enter your new field name for this linked record field.
  4. Select "Link to another record" as the field type.
  5. Select the 'DNA Match Details' table to link to that table.
  6. You should get a popup asking if you want to add lookup fields.
  7. Toggle the 'MY TREE' field to also create a field in the 'Kit Access' table that will contain the same data as is contained in the 'DNA Match Details' table.

Good luck!