3016 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kristina_Beever
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I am starting to think this isn’t an option in Airtable, but am hoping someone out there knows how to do this. I found one other support question on it and no response.
I have a table showing the grants given out to grad students. Each grant gets a unique entry identified by the grad student recipient’s name. Some grad students get these more than once in separate semesters. I have a view sorted by group (the recipient’s name) and can see the number each student received, but there is not a count for the number of groups. Is there a way to count this other than manually or am I SOL? I tried to think of a way to run a formula or something else to do this, but cannot seem to figure it out.

8 Replies 8

There is a workaround that will get you the number you want, but it’s not pretty…
Should only take about 5-10 minutes to set up.

• Step 1:
    Create a new table called “Summary” or some-such

• Step 2:
    Create a linked record field in your grouped table that links to a single record in “Summary”

• Step 3:
    Link every single record in your grouped table to the same record in “Summary” (this can be achieved by linking the top record, then copying that field, selecting that field for all records [ctrl/cmd + shift + down arrow] and pasting)

• Step 4:
    Create a rollup field in the “Summary” table that rolls up the same field you are grouping on from your other table, using this formula in the rollup field:

COUNTA(ARRAYUNIQUE(values))

This will count the unique values from the field rolled up, and that count will match the number of groups that exist in your grouped table, because a group is created for each unique value in that field.

Kristina_Beever
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

This worked perfectly. Thank you so much!

JoshApos
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Adding this response in case someone else comes across this as I did, as there is a much easier solution.

Fixed to the bottom of the table view, look for a grey footer bar. By default, it seems to display the total number of records in the leftmost corner. As you hover over this footer, below each of your table’s columns will appear a “Summary” label. Click this, and a dropdown giving you a number of options will appear.

From the options in this dropdown, select “Unique” and the footer will then display the number of unique values within that column.

That’s it! :slightly_smiling_face:

Oooh, thanks for sharing! I haven’t noticed that before! That’s a hot tip! :slightly_smiling_face:

jerry_s
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Just to follow up on this, neither solution presented thus far works for me. The lengthy (and unseemly) process of creating a summary table just to count the number of groups ended up failing with the formula just calculating 1 unique value… And the options on the Summary bar at the bottom of the main sheet doesn’t have the “Unique” option for this column for some reason.

Would be great to have an easy way to analyze the number of groups created by a grouped view.

You wouldn’t create another table to count the number of unique groups. You would do it from the groups table.

That was in response to Jeremy_Oglesby’s solution above (Step 1: Create a new table).

But also as mentioned, from the groups table at the bottom when you click on “Summary” the option “Unique” is missing on the column i need to find unique counts for…

unique_missing

Right, me too. I had to manually count my groups…the unique attribute was not on the grouped column…