cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joseph_hassler
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello to you all !!

I’m facing an issue. I’m totally new on airtab and I’m trying to create a data base.

I have a table where I will put a name of a project and a mutiple select fied with the companies that are in the project. I would like to create a data base for those companies and to be able to do so, i need to find a way to create an automation thats is going to take every company from the multiple select field and create one independant record for each one of them in my database table.

I would love to do this without a script because I’m on the free subscription.

I would really use your help.

Thanks in advance and have a great day !!!

4 Replies 4

Hey Joseph, check this base out. It should do what you’re looking for via an automation

Via Multiple Select

To view the setup (formulas, automations etc), you can duplicate the base by clicking the title of the base at the top of the screen, then the three horizontal dots on the right, and then the “Duplicate Base” button.

It works by generating a unique comma separated list of values by combining the Name field with each of the selected multiple select options

We then mark the checkbox to trigger the automation, which will paste that unique comma separated list into a linked field, forcing creation of multiple records.

(If your records are being created via a Form or something, then we don’t have to use the checkbox system. The reason we have to use the checkbox system is that it’s the only reliable way to trigger the automation AFTER we have keyed in all our data. Without it, the automation will trigger before we want it to)

I realize you said that you don’t want to use a script, but given that you have to mark a checkbox for this, we could also accomplish this via a button and a script block, which wouldn’t use any automations at all

@joseph_hassler I would not recommend @Adam_TheTimeSavingCo’s approach above, because it adds a lot of unnecessary complexity to your base, yet it still keeps your database structure in an undesirable state.

The best solution for what you’re looking to do is that you shouldn’t be using a multi-select field for your companies. Instead, you should be using a linked record field for your companies.

Simply change your multiple select field to a linked record field, and Airtable will create the companies for you in a linked table that you can name Companies.

Also, because you are brand new to Airtable and are struggling with some of the basics, I would highly recommend my free Airtable training course, which covers multi-select fields, linked record fields, and much more:

joseph_hassler
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thanks a lot for the solutions. I’m going to look at this today!!!

The problem is that I have companies in two different tables and I want them to be storage in only one caompany database. With the linked records I can only do it for one table no?