Help

Re: Custom scripting to process data possible?

540 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darek_Mlodnicki
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi!

I was wondering if this is possible:

I would like to write a short script/block/module that could present me with an arbitrarily generated string from my data. Namely I want to combine all names in the current’s view Name column into a single string separated by some booleans so that it can be copied.

Example:

Name
RICE
SALT
PEPPER
WATER

click

generating…
RICE and SALT and PEPPER and WATER
done.

I can currently do it no problem via copying the whole column to Excel but it would be more elegant/clean and a bit faster to be able to export it right from the table. Is this kind of scripting even possible with Airtable (preferably without third party tools)?

2 Replies 2

Hi

There is no scripting in Airtable at the moment (let’s hope that changes soon!!!) but there are possibilities either using the API - or my favourite option, using Integromat.

This is a tool with which you can interface stuff (like Zapier) but has more logic capabilities including the ability to loop through records and do things like aggregate text from them. I used this technique as part of the following blog post:

This uses looping through records to build up rows in a table which will become a PDF - but the principle is the same.

Also note this uses a different database - again the workings with Airtable would be nearly identical.

Darek_Mlodnicki

Thank you, Julian. While I would still prefer some kind of a native script to be available within Airtable, this Integromat certainly looks like it could just do the trick. Looking into it now!