Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Julien
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello,

I use Airtable to build a simple CRM.

I have a table dedicated to the client companies. (PF = String)
I have a table dedicated to the contacts belonging to these companies. (PF = Autonumber…I do not have an email or a phone number for each contact)
I have a table dedicated to deals (PF = String)

A deal is linked to a company and a contact.

I would like to be able to select a contact in my deal table, belonging to the company to which the deal is linked.

In my deal table I can easily display the name of the company, which comes from the customer company table.

However, when I want to choose a contact, I can only look for it by its contact_id (PF contact table)…

screen_airtable

screen_airtable2

Except that I have 2000 and I can’t know by heart the id of each customer…
I would like to be able to choose the customer by his, or have a list of contacts related to the company where the deal belongs…

Thank you for your help.

Julien

3 Replies 3

Hi Julien, I usually get around this by making the first field a formula field that displays the values that I need like so:
Screenshot 2022-09-30 at 7.39.29 PM

Allowing me to do this:
Screenshot 2022-09-30 at 7.39.21 PM
Screenshot 2022-09-30 at 7.39.44 PM

Welcome to the community, @Julien!

Unfortunately, this is a gigantic & frustrating limitation of Airtable. I would highly recommend sending an email to support@airtable.com to ask them to fix this behavior in the future.

As @Adam_TheTimeSavingCo mentioned above, there is only one workaround for this, which is to make your primary field a formula field.

Alternatively, the On2Air: Amplify extension gives you the behavior that you’re looking for. But just like all extensions, you will need to do your data entry within the extension dashboard to get this behavior:

Julien

I thank you for your help.

So I chose the formula as the field type for my primary key.

It works very well, and will help me easily in my steps.

Thanks again :slightly_smiling_face: