cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robert_Hudman
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi All

I am in early stages of learning formula functions, and focusing on date based formulas.

One thing I have noticed is that dates created from formula calculations to not seem to work with the Timeline block.

Has anyone found a way to make this work?
Very important for me and hoping there is a solution.

Thanks, Rob

22 Replies 22

It’s working for me. The formula gives you a date? Check the Formatting options in the field configuration.

Robert_Hudman
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks for the response.

Can you provide a copy of the formula you use that works?

I did just Date :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: , I mean, just the value from the Date field.

Hey Elias

We may be talking about two different things - I am using a formula field to create a date output (such as DATEADD), which I am then trying to use as a reference point in the Timeline setting for ‘Start date field’ and ‘End date field’.

Sounds like you are just using a Date type fields. That works fine for me, but was not the query.

Luiggi_Cuozzo
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi,

Not sure what is not working for you. I made my check and it worked for me.
I put two date fields with a formula using DATEADD, and then created a timeline block.
I share my results to you.

Captura de pantalla 2018-07-26 a la(s) 22.28.14.pngCaptura de pantalla 2018-07-26 a la(s) 22.28.50.pngCaptura de pantalla 2018-07-26 a la(s) 22.28.30.pngCaptura de pantalla 2018-07-26 a la(s) 22.27.45.png

Hope it can give you a clue of what is not working.

Rgds

Me too.

No, I think I said it right:

And I told my Formula: just the value from the Date field, in the second Formula field, of course. You weren’t specific about any function. :man_shrugging:

Also, you didn’t reply to my first question. I think the first step is to confirm that you get a date in Formula. :ok_hand:

Hi Luiggi

Thanks for so much for your response, it was very helpful. I have copied what you have done and have screen shots below.

Some queries and items that I are still not working on my end

• You did not show your formula in the {today} field, assumed is was TODAY()…is that correct? (I have screen shot of mine below)

• My dates output using your formulas show up as dates and times, with the dates being MM/DD/YYYY when I want then to be DD/MM/YYYY (and no times). How come yours show the correct date format and not time?

• To the above point, when I try to fix this using a DATETIME_FORMAT formula it fixes the date display fine, but then the Timeline Block does not work. It gives an error of ‘End date field does not contain dates’. (see the last screen shot). Does the Timeline Block not work when the DATETIME_FORMAT formula is used?

Sorry for all the questions, just keen to fix this issue and you have been so helpful already.

To give you the full picture, I am trying to build a software forecast document so that our R&D team can provide a central location to inform the company of expected dates of software feature releases upcoming. The engineers will normally put in the quarter (for example ‘Q3-2018’, being July-Sept 2018). I then want to Airtable to use an ‘IF’ formula to read the quarter entered and extract that into a start and finish date column, and then use the Timeline block to map the Q3-2018 range visually.

Guess what I am saying is that the formula is only going to get more complicated after I figure out the initial query.

image.png

image.png

image.png