986 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kirsten_Kern
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This seems simple but I am not sure how to accomplish this. I have my educators complete a form that requires them to enter their course start dates in ISO. This format is important for some concatenate fields and dropdown menus in other tables and forms, and thus I cannot change the format when the forms are completed. Currently, I am asking my instructors to enter the date twice: Once as ISO and once as friendly. In order to avoid entry mistakes and disgruntlement amongst the ranks, I would love to be able to do this with a formula.

In short, I would my like instructors to enter the date as ISO and then in a second field the friendly date format populates magically. This: 2021-06-11 becomes June 6, 2021 in a second field.

Thank you for your help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kirsten_Kern

Thank you that was very simple and much appreciated!

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4

Hi Kirsten, I take it they’re keying that into a single line text field?

If so, you could try creating a formula field with the following formula:

DATETIME_PARSE(
  {Date ISO},
  "YYYY-MM-DD"
)

And changing the formatting of the field
Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 10.36.53 PM

Resulting in this:
Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 10.36.29 PM

I was wondering whether it would be possible to let your instructors key in the start dates into a date field, and then creating two new fields:

1. One for the friendly version
  2. One for the ISO version

That way data entry would be slightly smoother, while still retaining all your functionality?

Apologies if I’m off the mark here!

Kirsten_Kern

Thanks Adam,

They are keying it into a date field (ISO). And I am trying to figure out how to get that date into a friendly date format field.

Hi @Kirsten_Kern,
You can add a formula field, set the formula to just be your Course Start Date, then format the Formula field to Friendly.

Kirsten_Kern

Thank you that was very simple and much appreciated!