Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Re: Disappearing value in linked records

419 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oscarjames24
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I'm new to airtable but i keep running into the same issue that when you try to link a column to another base (to effectively do what would be a vlookup in excel) that when a link is found the value of the cell you are linking from is displayed but if no link is found its empty. 

Is there a way to overwrite this behaviour so that the value still is still displayed despite no match?

The value is still being recorded in the table as the links will sync if that value is added to the looked up table, it's just not shown when a match isn't found.

4 Replies 4

Hi,
Could you please make a screenshot with example? Also, please clarify "link a column to another base".
Linking is the way to connect tables within the same base. Inter-base connections made via synchronization, and it works in a different way.

Sorry for delay and unclear message.

Example below, table 'Opo Data...' I am trying to use the 'Product Code' as a lookup to the 'PVX Stock Levels'. It shows the value when it finds a match, but when it does not find a match it's blank. 

The field was originally populated by a script in node as a single line text. I've converted to link to the stock table.

Why does the value disappear when no match found and is there a way to prevent this behaviour.

oscarjames24_0-1721739763846.png

oscarjames24_1-1721739785485.png

Hi,

In usual table, if no match, it will create new record with new value and link to it. 
On your screenshot, you have two synced tables. They are read-only (unless you have Enterprise two way sync, but I think even in this case linking cannot auto-create new records). The same behavior, when during bulk-linking new records cannot be created, happens when the primary field is a formula. Or when table-level permission set as 'Create new records' switched from "Editors and up" (default) to "Nobody" (for example).

oscarjames24
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

So there isn't really a way round this with linked fields?
Maybe an automation to copy the value into a new field that is a single-line text to hold the original value, for reference when a link not found?