2360 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nick_Kosogor
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

How to create a dynamic (calculated) link to another table?

There is a Table#1 (Daily Expenses) [ID, Date, Sum, subject,MonthNo].
Where MonthNo=MONTH({Date})

There is a Table#2 (Months of the year) just as follows:

MonthNo MonthName
1 January
2 February
3 March
etc.

Linking Table#1 to Table#2 will allow me to calculate monthly expenses directly in a Table#2 by means of Lookup(Sum) function.

How can I do this? If I choose a standard Link field then every time later I will have to select a MonthNo for each record in «Daily Expenses» manually instead of linking automatically. Manual input is such cases is unnecessary and harmful action, since it can often lead to mistakes.

12 Replies 12
Michael_Gillman
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I ran into a wall when trying to determine project costs per month.

Since the project rates per role can vary each month, I need to dynamically select the record containing the rate applicable to a given month.

Without the ability to understand dynamically determine which record to link, it Airtable just isn’t a good fit when modeling the status of a project, team, or company that changes over time.

Please correct me if I’m missing something!

Matthew_Billio1
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

You should make this a feature request! Great idea.

It could provide a decent workaround for airtable’s lack of queries.

It would also solve this issue: the fact that users cannot make LookUp fields only show unique links (again, if your suggestion were implemented, then users could construct a formula to get via linking to multiple records via formulas).

Also, check out this feature request:

The above feature (quoted from Jeremy_Oglesby’s response to a feature request) would provide us with a more general solution.

(another related request is found here Array intersect formula, but I prefer how Jeremy_Oglesby’s request included not just one formula request, but also related formula’s with his request)