2183 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jessi_Burns
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m trying to update a multiple select field based on info from an api. There’s 30 some values that will either be Yes or blank. If it’s yes, its works fine and puts the correct value, but gives an error if it tries to add nothing to the multi select field.

What I’ve tried so far:

{{if(206.record.animalDrools = “Yes”; “Drools”; )}}
{{if(206.record.animalDrools = “Yes”; “Drools”; null)}}
{{if(206.record.animalDrools = “Yes”; “Drools”; emptystring)}} * Doesn’t fail but doesnt leave it completely blank either

Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 6.58.24 PM
Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 6.41.17 PM
Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 6.57.34 PM

2 Replies 2
Jessi_Burns
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Any ideas or other things I can try or this just a bug?

Hey there @Jessi_Burns, Michaela from Integromat here :wave:

Ok, so this is definitely not an easy nut to crack but basically, you have a data type problem here.

In a much easier situation, this is how you can keep your multi-select column “clear”.

screenshot-www.integromat.com-2021.09.27-14_55_22

With an if function like the one below, you are already working on the item-level within the multi-select which is no good for clearing a multi-select column.

Screenshot 2021-09-27 at 15.00.01

Even if :arrow_up: the formula :arrow_up: returns a null, it’s a different null than the one in the first screenshot.

For the solution, we need the “map” slider enabled and:

airtable_yes

airtable_blank

(To make this as digestible as possible, we decided to work with dates.)
As you can see, in the first case the function returns a “yes” because today’s date is 2021-09-27.
In the second case, the field remains clear because today’s date isn’t 2021-09-28.

The reasoning behind this is that you need to pass either an array with the “Yes” value if you want to set a value, or you need to pass an “array level” null which in this case will translate to a multi-select column.

No need to worry about the explanation too much, though :grinning_face_with_sweat: If you follow the screens, I’m sure it’ll work for you :slightly_smiling_face: