cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Suhail_Ghafoor
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi,
I’ve been trying to do this for a couple of hours and can’t figure out the best way to do this. Basically I have 2 tables, one of them has a list of people and their bio and the second one is a list of activities along with a name of a person who did that specific activity. Each person has multiple activities.

What I’d like to do is link both of the tables so the each person is linked to their bio but I can’t seem to change the first column of either of the tables (which is the name of the person) and turn that into a linked record. I tried making a duplicate column and turned that into a linked record but then that one does not update by itself.

I’m not sure if it is even the best approach to solving my problem, if anyone has any ideas then please let me know. I tried using the templates but they’re not doing exactly what I need to do.

5 Replies 5
Kira_Lapin
5 - Automation Enthusiast

You can store a biography in the table with the people and events from the table to make lookup.
I’m not sure that you understood correctly.

I don’t get what you need. Could you post some screnshots?

each person is linked to their bio

You already have this in the People table.

Robert_Laing

You can’t make the first column in Airtable tables a linked record.

But you can easily do what you wanted with this:

Table 1: "Users"
Name
Bio
Activities - allow multiple per record [this record is linked back to Activities]

Table 2: "Activities"
Activity
User - allow only one per record [this record is linked back to Users]
{Optionally if you wanted to, not sure if I understand} User Bio - use a Lookup to grab this from Users

Thank you everyone for the help. I think I’m doing what you mentioned but I wasn’t sure if it was the best way, I’m guessing that is the only way. This is how I’ve done it now.

1. This is an example faculty table with some of their info.
    Clipboard01.jpg

2. And this is the second table. I’ve made the first column just put in a unique ID so I can use this to link it to the first table because I’m guessing the column that links both of the tables has to be unique?
    Clipboard02.jpg

Is this the best way of approaching this?

D_Rouse

each person can have many activities
each activity can have many persons
therefore, you have a many-to-many relationship – which needs an intermediate table. lookup many-to-many.