1221 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Donald_Newlands
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

We need filters to limit our kanban views to specific projects, but I can’t find a way to do it without having cards disappear if the filter fields are not filled out… This is the kind of thing that really turns people off of Airtable.

We use groups in our grid views on the filter fields to make sure that they get filled in when new records are created, I’m wondering if there’s a similar trick in the kanban view?

What if instead of just “contains” as a text criteria, we had “equals” with a special option to make it the default for new records?

9 Replies 9

You could create a new field with a default value and define your filter to show [all your usual settings] OR [default field = default value]. That, of course, would require you to clear said value if you did want the record to be hidden – but, then, using groups to do something similar would carry the same requirement.

You could also use an “Or —> is blank” condition following the first.

W and Jeremy,
Thanks so much! That’s a huge help!!! :slightly_smiling_face:
-Donald

Russell_Bishop1
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I am falling into the same trap as @Donald_Newlands and wanted to further this discussion.

I’m trying to use a Kanban view per Project for a table of Tasks – there will eventually be 1,000s of tasks, 100s of projects.

Each Kanban board will filter by a linked record (Project). Although Jeremy’s solution of “also show new entries” means you don’t lose them, you don’t have the same advantage as Grouping in Grids (pre-filled data), and you still need users to select the Project on each task.

Is there any way to automate this? Perhaps using Zapier… New Task in View - set Linked Record to the same Linked Record as the first task in that view?

Ah - that probably doesn’t work because the New Task doesn’t reach the view. Stupid!

Russell_Bishop1
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Maybe you need to create a Template task to be duplicated in each filtered view…?

I think the Scripting Block is going to be your friend here…

Create new task for…
|| select project from drop-down ||

creates a new task record with the Project linked record field pre-filled with selected project.

Zapier is always an option too, but I’d suggest trying the Scripting Block first, since it will be more stable a solution in the long run.

@Jeremy_Oglesby but is this at all superior to just using Grid view with Groups? For one, it’d be hidden in Blocks…

Not superior in any objective way, no. Whether or not it’s better to just use a Grid view with Groups strikes me as a subjective question that will depend on one’s workflow and preference.

I think I’d lean towards the Scripting Block solution because then you aren’t tied down to a view while assigning tasks to a project. But, this solution requires writing the JavaScript to do all that, whereas a Grouped Grid view can be set up in roughly 3 seconds… :man_shrugging:t2: