Help

Formula for Character-Count

12251 27
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone worked out how to use the COUNT function to count the number of characters in a text string?

27 Replies 27
Kaiti_Hill
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Diogo_Nogueira could you share your solution?

Look at the reply by Gareth (above) for a solution.

Kaiti_Hill
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Justin_Barrett When I tried that I got an error message.

@Kaiti_Hill Looks like the quotes in the version above got mangled somehow. Some are straight, others are curled. Try copying this, which is the fixed version that I tested successfully:

LEN(Name)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(Name," ","")) + 1

@Justin_Barrett you are WONDERFUL. thank you so much!!

Christopher_Wi1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

So, I’m trying to come up with a way to complicate this and I believe I have found it. I have an ever changing array of characters that can be sequential but may not be (A, B, C, D, F… etc.) and I want to count the occurrence of each one in a much longer array (AAACCCBBDDIIFFIAAHDICCHAIKLA… etc.). I have my base structured such that one field (Field 1) keeps track of my changing array like above, and another field (Field 2) that keeps up with a concatenated larger array. Any one have any ideas on counting each character from Field 1 in Field 2?

Thanks!

To pull that off, the software needs some way to iterate through both arrays. Airtable isn’t built for any kind of iteration…yet. I’m confident that this will be possible someday, but today isn’t that day. Sorry.

Thanks for the reply Justin. I have been racking my brain to come up with an iteration work around, without using an API (mostly because I’m not yet knowing how to write/implement an API).