3065 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daniel_Saunders
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Is it possible to use information from a linked table in a formula?

I’ve got an Airtable recording books that I read. In one table I have start and end dates for a book, and the details of the Book (author, number of pages) are in a second table. For some nerdy statistics, I wouldn’t mind being able to create a formula like (End Data - Start Date)/Number of Pages in Book…where the dates are in one table, and the number of pages in another.

Is this possible currently in Airtable?

14 Replies 14
papparaziz
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Awesome, I think with what @Jeremy_Oglesby and @Justin_Barrett have said this will help solve my issue. Thank you very much both of you for your help!! Wish this was like Reddit where I could give you gold coins :slightly_smiling_face:

“Likes” are good too :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, if you ever decide you need to preserve historical level labels and apply new thresholds only to future test takers, I have a solution for that as well that requires only a slight modification to the setup.

But even with your current setup, since you have to link every record from Table A to all 3 levels in Table B in order for this to work, I’d suggest flipping your Table B to run horizontally rather than vertically…

Here’s what I mean -

Instead of having 3 rows in Table B, one for each “Level” you want to define, I’d have 1 row in Table B, called “Levels”. Then, I’d have an integer COLUMN for each Level - “Intermediate Threshold Score”, “Advanced Threshold Score”, and “Expert Threshold Score”.

Then you only have to link each record in Table A to the one “Levels” record from Table B. That will work much better with what I described above.

… actually🤔… what I described above REQUIRES the setup I just described – a single record (row) in table B that ALL records in Table A are linked to. The link has to be established in order for the Lookup fields to be able to pull in your threshold values for each level.

Yes that is what I inadvertently wound up doing, but thank you for validating that approach, much appreciated! I over simplified my task here for the sake of simplicity in the discussion but I have 6 sections and 5 levels for each section for a total of 5^6 possible combinations which I can now do with the ideas you set forth.

Hi, I’m looking to do something similar but I don’t quite understand how you pull values from table B to table A. I made a table B with some values called weights. But when I make a similar field in table A and try to make it a lookup, I don’t see table B as an option. I’m more specifically asking how to link the tables, since table B has some standalone columns that don’t relate to table A

Can you describe or show screenshots of how to link and lookup between these 2 tables? thanks!