Help

Re: How can I continuously replace an attachment and not lose comments?

877 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pamela_McVay
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I am working on a project with another person, and we will be editing the same document. Is there a way to upload and simultaneously replace? We have a comments field next to the attachment to update each other about what, in general, has been done, but it disappears if I delete the first attachment and upload another?

4 Replies 4

I’m a little confused about what you’re doing.

When you say you are uploading attachments, do you mean you are adding them to an Attachments field, or are you creating a new record every time and deleting a different record?

It seems to me that what you are wanting to do is possible with a single record (row) that has an Attachments field. Whenever you edit the document and want to upload the new version, add it to the Attachment field. You could even leave the old versions there for reference – no need to delete them.

As for comments, you could use the “Comments” feature that AIrtable provides on an expanded record, rather than using a Field for it.

Here’s an example of what I’m talking about:

What about using Google Docs and just leaving the URL? :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you; this is exactly what I needed.

While I think that would work for a short-term committee project, adding google docs into the mix would be awkward for our project. We’ll be working on this for years and translating dozens of individual documents. The huge benefit of airtable is that you can look at a summary of all the documents in one table on one page, and the project won’t have to compete with all the other google doc pieces I have. Thank you for the idea, though. If this were a shorter term project I think it would work.