17514 32
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ARTHUR_BENNETT
5 - Automation Enthusiast

what formula can I run against a text field that will display all text characters up to a “,”.

Example: TEXT1, TEXT2

Result: TEXT1

32 Replies 32

Hey. It’s coming from Quotient.

I’m having it dump in all the “Selected items” data but it comes in in an array that’s fairly unhelpful - at least to my coding skillset.

Here’s an example of what Zapier dumps in from Quotient.

Is the {Selected Items} field the only one being updated by Zapier? In the other fields in your screenshot, I see values for quantity, items cost, etc. Are those also from Zapier, or did you pull those out manually?

Every field in this screenshot comes from Quotient to Zapier. The names are very close.

Untitled 2

Here is everything that is dumped from Quotient to Zapier in this example:

event_name
quote_accepted
quote_number
title
##-###-R## Job Name
quote_url
https://go.quotientapp.com/q/UNIQUE-STRING
from
My Company
for
Their Company 
first_sent
2020-10-09T01:54:23+00:00
valid_until
2020-11-08T01:50:00+00:00
quote_status
Accepted
is_archived
false
currency
USD
amounts_are
No Tax
overall_discount
quote_for
name_first
Customer
name_last
Surname
email
customer@email.com
company_name
Their Company
phone
type
Primary Phone
value
(555) 555-5555
address
type
street
city
state
zip
country
item_headings
Shop Supplies & Tool Usage
CNC Programming
CNC Machining
total_includes_tax
total_excludes_tax
discount_amount_includes_tax
discount_amount_excludes_tax
selected_items
item_code
heading
Shop Supplies & Tool Usage
description
sales_category
Materials & Supplies
tax_rate
tax_description
No tax
subscription
discount
cost_price
unit_price
quantity
item_total
item_code
CAM/CAD
heading
CNC Programming
description
sales_category
CAM/CAD Design
tax_rate
tax_description
No tax
subscription
discount
cost_price
unit_price
quantity
item_total
item_code
CNC Machining
heading
CNC Machining
description
sales_category
CNC Routing
tax_rate
tax_description
No tax
subscription
discount
cost_price
unit_price
quantity
item_total
accepted
accepted_on_behalf
false
accepted_on_behalf_who
order_number
comments
when
2020-10-09T02:12:26+00:00
by
name_first
Customer
name_last
Surname
email
customer@email.com
company_name
Their Company
phone
type
Primary Phone
value
(555) 555-5555
address
type
street
city
state
zip
country

Thanks for the clarification. It looks like the values you want are already there. The {Selected Items} field shows all of the relevant details for each item, while the other fields to the right break down specific pieces of those items. In your initial message you said that you wanted the quantity. There were three item lists, with the respective quantities being 1, 1.5, and 12.5. If you look in the {Selected Items Qty} field in your screenshots, you’ll see:

1, 1.5, 12.5

Do you want to extract one specific quantity (i.e. just the second item), or do something with all of the quantities as a group? If it’s the latter, that will require a script because they’ve been transformed into a single string, and Airtable formulas can’t (yet) parse strings with that much precision. However, if it’s just a matter of extracting a specific number, that can be done if you could share more info on how to identify the number you want.

Hi Cameron. How would I find TEXT 2 in Arthur’s example? Or in other words, how would I find everything to the right of the comma?

As long as there’s only a single comma in the source, this will work:

IF(Source, REGEX_EXTRACT(Source, "(?:,\\s?)(.*)"))

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 5.25.43 PM

…or this:

IF(Source, TRIM(MID(Source, FIND(",", Source) + 1, 50)))

The first version is more efficient because you don’t have to specify how many characters you want to extract (the 50 value from the second version, which will need to be increased for longer strings).

Kate_Price
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Both worked perfectly. Thank you so much!!

Frank_Reagan

How do I extract the third item in an array?
Example: One, Two, Third Item, Four, Five
Result: Third Item

@Frank_Reagan If it’s a literal array, you’ll first need to convert it to a string. Array indexing isn’t currently possible using formulas. The easiest way to convert an array to a string is with the ARRAYJOIN() function:

ARRAYJOIN(array, ",")

Assuming you’ve got a string, there are at least three items in that string, and there are commas separating each item (as in your example), then this would work:

IF(String, REGEX_EXTRACT(String, "(?:[^,]*, *){2}([^,]*)(?:.*)"))

Your sample also has a space after each comma; this formula will also take that into account in case your data may include that.

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 11.03.58 AM

This is incredibly helpful, Justin!

Can you explain this aspect of the formula?

"(?:[^,]*, *){2}([^,]*)(?:.*)"

I’d like to understand this more so that I can adapt it to find additional item numbers in a string list, not just the 3rd position. Would I get the fourth item with this modification:
"(?:[^,]*, *){3}([^,]*)(?:.*)"

For your entertainment, I have a working solution to find up to the 10th position within a string list (using multiple fields in order to increment and iterate through the list), but it is overly complex and requires too many helper fields in order to achieve:

• {Items_count} = count field of {Linked_records} field
• {Original_string} = convert {Linked_records} field into csv string
• {First_item} = LEFT({Original_string},FIND(", “,{Original_string})-1);
• {Remaining_items_1} = IF({Items_count}>1,MID({Original_string},LEN(LEFT({Original_string},FIND(”, “,{Original_string})+2)),LEN({Original_string})),”");
• {Second_item} = IF({Items_count}=2,{Remaining_items_1},LEFT({Remaining_items_1},FIND(", “,{Remaining_items_1})-1));
• {Remaining_items_2} = IF({Items_count}>2,MID({Remaining_items_1},LEN(LEFT({{Remaining_items_1},FIND(”, “,{Remaining_items_1})+2)),LEN({{Remaining_items_1})),”");
• {Third_item} = IF({Items_count}=3,{Remaining_items_2},LEFT({Remaining_items_2},FIND(", ",{Remaining_items_2})-1));
• Etc…
:grinning_face_with_sweat:

Correct! :partying_face:

That is a regular expression. Regular expressions are wonderful for working on strings based on patterns. It can take some time to understand, which is why I recommend using a site like regex101.com to test regular expressions before using them in Airtable (be sure to pick the “Golang” option on the left if you use that site; that’s the flavor closest to what Airtable’s regex interpreter uses).

Let’s break it down into a few basic concepts first…

Parentheses are used to define groups. In that expression above, there are three defined groups. Sometimes you can locate things without grouping them first, but in this situation, using groups makes isolating specific things a lot easier.

Whenever a group begins with ?:, that means that everything else in the group should be located, but not returned. In other words, that group is just there as a reference to help find other items.

When you see a number in curly braces—e.g. {2}—that means to match the preceding item (or group, as in this case) that many times. You can also use multiple numbers to make the same match a range of times. For example, {2,5} indicates to match the preceding item at least 2 times, but not more than 5.

Now let’s dive into the first group. Temporarily stripping away the parentheses and the “ignore me” prefix, we have this:

[^,]*, *

Square braces indicate that any of the contained characters should be matched. However, this character collection begins with a caret ^ symbol, meaning that any characters except those that follow the caret should be matched. In short, match any character that’s not a comma.

The asterisk * says to match the preceding item zero or more times. When combined with the square brace collection, this says to look for zero or more characters that are not commas.

Then there’s a literal comma, which matches that single character. That’s followed by a space and another asterisk, meaning to match a space zero or more times.

The whole first group then translates into this: match—but don’t collect—any quantity of non-comma characters that are followed by a literal comma and zero or more spaces. When combined with the number in curly braces after it, it says to find that grouping exactly two times.

The next group— ([^,]*) — should be easier to understand now: match any quantity of non-comma characters. Because this group doesn’t have the ?: prefix, its contents will be captured (i.e. extracted).

The final group is similar to the first. It’s a non-capturing group that matches zero or more of any character (the period represents any single character)

To sum it up, that expression finds—but doesn’t capture—the first two stretches of text ending in commas (and, optionally, spaces), collects the third item up to—but not including—the comma after it, and then ignores everything else.

As you’ve correctly guessed, modifying it to capture any Nth item is just a matter of changing the number in the curly braces to N - 1.

Thank you so much @Justin_Barrett! This worked and is SO much easier and efficient than my workaround :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: I appreciate your explanation and resources for REGEX and I am looking forward to learning & practicing it more!

additional thanks for that info. regular expressions is something new for me, and when I tried to write my own, it passed test, but refused to work here. when i tried to change random options, i never expected it should be Golang.