Help

Re: How to link fields from different columns?

761 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ethan_Suero
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi there,

I’m trying to setup a data base for a Webflow project and I need the following to happen.
Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 11.25.14

As you can see on the image above, I have a column for cities, and another for city ID. Both are dropdowns including different options where only 1 can be selected. The city column includes things like London, New York, etc. and the columns City ID has an ID that is associated with a city.

Is there a way to link both columns so that when I select London from the City column, automatically selects the ID in the City ID that is associated with London?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Hi @Ethan_Suero, in this case it would be easier if cities were stored in a separate table, in which you specify the corresponding id for each city. You then just link the city and you can use a lookup field for the id if you want to display the id in your main table.

Best,
Rupert

Hi @Rupert_Hoffschmidt ,

So essentially I need to create databases for each of these fields with IDs and then link these to the main spreadsheet, is that right?

Is there a tutorial that explains how to do this?

Thank you

Hi @Ethan_Suero ,

You need to create a separate table (not a separate base) that contains a list of your cities and ID’s. (Although you could create a separate base and then sync to your existing base.)

After that, you would create a linked record field in your original table that links to the city in your new table, and then a lookup field that brings in the ID.

You would likely greatly benefit from my free Airtable training course, which covers linked record fields & lookup fields in significant depth:

Hi @ScottWorld ,

Will definitely take a look, thank you!

I guess a separate base would work better as each base will have up to 5k entries on a Plus plan, is that right?

Thanks again

No, you wouldn’t be able to use separate bases to workaround the 5k limit, because whenever you sync records from one base to another base, those records count towards your limit in both bases.

So, if you’re on a Plus Plan and you have more than 5,000 cities (although you would actually need less than 5,000 cities because you’ll want records in other tables as well), then you will need to upgrade to the Pro Plan.