901 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zack_S
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Does anyone have suggestions to go one route over another for setting up my base?

Essentially in a table called SKUs I will be linking to another table or tables for each SKU component.
Each of the fields in the screenshot below will be a linked record.

My question is, should I link these fields each to the same table (like the image below) or create a separate table for each component/field type (ex. A table for supplier, pattern, colour, etc.)?

There will be additional information specific to each field/Sku component included as well. Like price per square inch for a specific pattern or prices for inserts, etc.

Base setup

Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Well you could do it one table then based on those numbers. In the table with all these types, create one filtered view per type (only show suppliers, only show patterns, etc). Then your first table’s link fields could have the option “only allow selections from a particular view” and set those views accordingly.

Something you might do is have a Currency field for “Price” and a formula field that displays what the price should be divided by based on the type. I.e.

SWITCH(
{Type},
"Insert", "each",
"Pattern", "per sq inch"
)

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4

How many of each type will there be roughly? You may be better off with 5 different tables. Especially if each type will have multiple different relevant fields.

Suppliers, inserts and sizes only a few. Patterns and colours will be dozens.

Well you could do it one table then based on those numbers. In the table with all these types, create one filtered view per type (only show suppliers, only show patterns, etc). Then your first table’s link fields could have the option “only allow selections from a particular view” and set those views accordingly.

Something you might do is have a Currency field for “Price” and a formula field that displays what the price should be divided by based on the type. I.e.

SWITCH(
{Type},
"Insert", "each",
"Pattern", "per sq inch"
)

Ok that’s how I currently have it setup but was trying to think about if that would create problems down the road.

I like the idea with the switch formula. I hadn’t thought about that. Thanks for the help!