cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shubhams021
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello, 
I am new to airtable. I need help with records. I have created 1250 records in my table even though i am on freeplan. I am not sure if i should add more rows records or not?

shubhams021_0-1693312042000.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

@kuovonne is right… you shouldn’t be pre-creating records like that. I didn’t even notice or realize that that is what you are doing. You may be better served by Google Sheets, which is a free spreadsheet program that has no limit to the number of rows you can create.

See Solution in Thread

8 Replies 8

It looks like they haven't strictly enforced the record limit in the past, but I remember reading somewhere that they are planning on enforcing those limits starting sometime in September 2023. They said that you will still be able to see your old records that have gone over the limit, but that you won't be able to add new records.

Historically, the limits have been soft limits, and have not been enforced in real-time. The record count on the workspace page (which is what is used to determine if you have reached your limits or not) is not updated in real-time.

The old record limit on the free plan was 1200 records. It is now 1000 records, but the changeover is not fully implemented.

Why do you want to pre-create so many records? Part of the beauty of Airtable is having linked relationships, which involves having records in multiple tables, and you may not know which tables you want records in. Airtable has also not stated whether or not it will limit editing once you go over record limits. If you need a free solution with over 1000 records, Airtable might not be the right platform for you.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

@kuovonne is right… you shouldn’t be pre-creating records like that. I didn’t even notice or realize that that is what you are doing. You may be better served by Google Sheets, which is a free spreadsheet program that has no limit to the number of rows you can create.

shubhams021

@ScottWorld @kuovonne but then what is the use of airtable. I thought i might use it to create admin dashboard which can store million of data. Since it is very convinent and fast. 

Many users have found Airtable to suit their needs. That doesn't mean that it will fit yours. Many people have created admin dashboards using Airtable, but not with millions of records of data, and not on the free plan.

ranvirsm

Please help me understand what constitutes a 'record'. I am not familiar with databases, but have inherited one which has important details of our wide circle of friends. And, I am also seeing warning that I have crossed the limit of permitted records in a free plan. I have six bases in my account/workspace, out of which this warning is being shown on three bases. For example, one base has only 538 rows in Master View with about 65 fields, and there are six tabs in this base. Also apart from Master View, it also has 10 more Views. 

So, what do I need to reduce, to fall within the permitted limit of records?

Each tab at the top of the data view of a base is a table of records. To see how many records in a table, look at a grid view of that table with no filters. Each row is one record. You must use an unfiltered view to know how many records are in the entire table. Then add up the number of records across all tables. 

To get under the record limits, either upgrade to a plan with higher limits of delete records to get under the limits. If you choose to delete records, the “over limits” warning does not update in real time. It may take a day or so for the wsrning to go away. 

ranvirsm

Thanks a ton, for explaining it in very simple language. Let me see how I can manage it now.