Help

Re: I duplicated a record that was previously linked in other tables. Now I have 2 records linked.

Solved
Jump to Solution
760 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brad_Williams
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi - I'm new to AirTable so I may have missed something, but if I duplicate an existing record (say a "Plate" in Product Database), change the name to "Cup" & other data to I end up w/ 2 records "Cup" & "Plate" in the table - as expected.  However in other tables where "Plate" was included as a linked record, I also now show both records in linked field in these tables. How can I prevent this behavior?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Juliana
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi Brad! When linking records across tables, these will always be bidirectional. So in duplicating a record in Table A already linked to a record in Table B, the newly created record will mirror the field data of the original, including the linkage to the record in Table B.

If you find it most efficient to duplicate your records to create anew in Table A (e.g. there are many fields involved that you don't wish to rewrite), I'd recommend manually unlinking the unnecessary record afterwards, and then replacing that linkage with a different record, if applicable. Otherwise, it might save you time to create a new record separately and skip record duplication altogether so that it doesn't cause further confusion.

Let me know if you have any questions about this at all!

See Solution in Thread

1 Reply 1
Juliana
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi Brad! When linking records across tables, these will always be bidirectional. So in duplicating a record in Table A already linked to a record in Table B, the newly created record will mirror the field data of the original, including the linkage to the record in Table B.

If you find it most efficient to duplicate your records to create anew in Table A (e.g. there are many fields involved that you don't wish to rewrite), I'd recommend manually unlinking the unnecessary record afterwards, and then replacing that linkage with a different record, if applicable. Otherwise, it might save you time to create a new record separately and skip record duplication altogether so that it doesn't cause further confusion.

Let me know if you have any questions about this at all!