2443 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Don_Venardos
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Importing into a table (CSV, Excel, Pasted, etc.) with linked records will not allow mapping to linked records. The exact same data can be pasted into the GridView of the table and Airtable will expand the table to include the record count of the pasted data and correctly add the records to the table. The values for the linked records exist as would be expected by the paste into the GridView working properly.

I am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Don

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

From your screenshot, it looks like Airtable won’t let you import into that linked record field because the primary field of the linked table is a formula field.

Seemingly, this is because Airtable wouldn’t be able to create new linked records in that other table if the value doesn’t already exist there.

However, importing records into linked record fields that are formula fields works 100% perfectly fine when using Airtable’s CSV Import Extension, so this is a major inconsistency between how the 2 different types of importing tools function.

With the CSV Import Extension (which DOES function properly), it simply leaves the linked record field blank for any non-preexisting values. So I would email support@airtable.com to call their attention to this inconsistency (it seems like a bug to me).

However, for much more advanced CSV imports that can be fully automated as well, I would recommend bypassing Airtable’s weak & buggy CSV tools altogether and using Make’s CSV tools instead. Make’s CSV tools can be fully automated as well, whereas Airtable’s CSV tools can not be automated.

I discuss importing and exporting CSV files with Make on this episode of the BuiltOnAir podcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMA4GPj4iNE

See Solution in Thread

5 Replies 5
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

From your screenshot, it looks like Airtable won’t let you import into that linked record field because the primary field of the linked table is a formula field.

Seemingly, this is because Airtable wouldn’t be able to create new linked records in that other table if the value doesn’t already exist there.

However, importing records into linked record fields that are formula fields works 100% perfectly fine when using Airtable’s CSV Import Extension, so this is a major inconsistency between how the 2 different types of importing tools function.

With the CSV Import Extension (which DOES function properly), it simply leaves the linked record field blank for any non-preexisting values. So I would email support@airtable.com to call their attention to this inconsistency (it seems like a bug to me).

However, for much more advanced CSV imports that can be fully automated as well, I would recommend bypassing Airtable’s weak & buggy CSV tools altogether and using Make’s CSV tools instead. Make’s CSV tools can be fully automated as well, whereas Airtable’s CSV tools can not be automated.

I discuss importing and exporting CSV files with Make on this episode of the BuiltOnAir podcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMA4GPj4iNE

The linked tables actually have short text primary fields. But I will definitely try the CSV Import App and contact support. Thanks!

The CSV import app works perfectly!

Great! Be sure to email support@airtable.com to report the other bugs that you have discovered!

Thank you Scott! I have a follow up question. I am using AirTable as a personal CRM. I am thinking of importing hundreds of old contacts into AirTable using the CSV import app, however I am hesitant because of how it will handle the linked "Company" record. If I understand correctly, if there is no matching company in the Company table, will AirTable leave it blank? I presumed that AirTable would paste in the company information as text if it didn't find a matching company in the Company table. If this is the case, what is the best practice?...manually add legacy contacts or manually add a list of companies first so that AirTable can match company names? Any thoughts?