Help

Is there some way to do look up a count field without getting a circular reference?

1518 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have 2 tables A & B

Table A links to table B and you can choose multiple records from B.

In a i got a count filed to count how many records are linked. If there is more than 2 linked I need a look up field back in table B that changes a formular field.
However from whatever angle I approach this I get into circular references.
Is there a way around this?

Basically when there is more than 2 linked records in table A, I need a field in the linked records in back Table B to do say something.

3 Replies 3

Hi @Kim_Trager1 - this should work OK. Here’s what I did:

In table A create a count field which counts the number of linked records:

Screenshot 2020-01-08 at 09.04.08

Then lookup this field back in table B (the linked table):

Screenshot 2020-01-08 at 09.05.28

You should then be able to use this field to drive another field in table B. I added a formula field based on the lookup count field:

Screenshot 2020-01-08 at 09.06.48

using:

IF({Lookup count of linked records} > 1, '2 or more linked records')

JB

Thanks @JonathanBowen for getting back to me on this issue.

I’m embarrassed that I didn’t do this basic test before reaching out.
I thought I had narrowed down what had caused my circular ref error.

My base is a little more complicated and if I try what you just showed works I’m still getting a circular error. I’ve tried to debug, but can’t figure out exactly why the circular ref occurs.
Is there any particular reason why circular refs occur in the first place?

Hi @Kim_Trager1

You get circular references when Airtable can’t evaluate formulas because, for example, Field B depends upon Field A, but Field A also depends upon Field B. However, this sort of “paired” dependency is generally pretty easy to spot. More likely the dependancy is a bit more obscure, e.g.:

B depends on A
C depends on B
A depends on C

You can try this out to prove it to yourself with a set of simple “=” formulas.

Can you upload some screenshots of your fields or describe your tables? I’m sure it is possible to spot the conflict with a bit more detail.

JB