2732 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Natalie_Bates
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I am using AirTable on OS X. I am using it to organize a private project that needs to link to hundreds of GB of local files so I can look at the file as I fill out information about it in the database. However, I cannot find any way to do this.

I found one thread on this topic that did not work at all for me; I do not want the file to open in a browser (and it won’t, regardless), I want it to open in its default software on my computer.

Is there anything I can do? Thanks.

EDIT: I want to add that they’re mostly video files. I’ve tried uploading one of them – even though I would never be able to upload them all – and even when it’s uploaded there is no way to easily play back the file. I just need it to open and play quickly, so uploading and redownloading something that’s 1) large, and 2) already on my computer is pretty pointless.

12 Replies 12
WelcomeEnglish_
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

After struggling to find a solution to this same problem for a year, I found an Mac OS program called hook. It creates clickable links to any local file on your computer that you can paste into any program. When you click on the link it tells the OS to either open it with the default app or reveal in Finder.

If the file is in dropbox and you have hook installed on other computers the link will work there as well. It can be configured to do a lot more too.

I’m not sure what you can do when the free trial runs out. I presume links you’ve created will still work. It’s not an expensive program anyway. Buy Hook – Hook

Thank you @Christos, saved lot of time for creating a formula for opening OneNote pages in any native app, windows and iOS at the click of a Button field…

Hook looks super useful, but I can’t seem to get its links to work in airtable. Any tips on how you are doing it?