Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cedric_Roux1
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello,
So, I have a table A
Name; Field1; Field2

and a table B, which for each distinct value of Field1*Field2 (concat(Field1,Field2) gives me a value of Field 3)
Field1&Field2; Field3

I’d like to add Field3 to table A automatically for each record. Typically, I’m expecting 1000s of records in table A, a fixed list of 12 records in Table B.
In Excel, or google sheet it’s trivial. I would just add my Field 3 = vlookup(Field1&Field2;Table2!A:B) more or less.

Here, in Airtable, I’m completely lost. It seems that I can create a “Link to another table” field in Table A and a lookup field to table B - that works, but that requires me to manually choose the correct Table B record in each table A record, as a field cannot be a formula ((concat(Field1,Field2)) and a link to table B at the same time…

Well, i’m lost - please help me :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks
Cédric

4 Replies 4

Hi @Cedric_Roux1,

You can always use the script block for that.

BR,
Mo

Hi @Mohamed_Swellam
Thanks - blocks do require a paid account though…
Should I understand from your answer that there’s no other solution to do such a simple vlookup?
Thanks again
Best,
Cédric

Well, the Script Block in particular is for free until September.

You can always do it manually by Linking to the record you want. If you are worried you will choose a wrong record, you can create a formula field that concatenates the fields as you want, then simply copy paste it in the Linked Record field. Then you can perform the Lookup.

BR,
Mo

OK thanks - I wanted to avoid manual copy paste, but I’ll explore the script for now.
Thanks again
BR