469 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cheryl_ernst
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello, I’m a new user, and I’ve read several posts about how to link fields. None of the suggestions seem to work for me. Perhaps I’m missing something obvious.

I have a base that tracks host families. One table has general admin information about the families including their current hosting status. I’m setting up another table to track availability in different quarters. I linked the status field from admin information table to the availability table. Nothing is auto filling. I understand auto fill may be the issue, but when I try to manually enter the information I get the “Look up fields should be configured in the field menu drop down” and when I try to copy and paste from the source table, I get the message “Can’t paste into this field. The destination field is computed.” These are two recommendations I’ve read aboutScreen Shot 2021-11-17 at 4.49.26 PM

It works in another table, and I can’t figure out what’s different. As I recall, the field simply filled. When I change the original table the linked data updates automatically. This must be simpler than I am making it.

Left image on screen shot - original source, upper right screen shot shows where the linking works, bottom left shows what I’ve done, but no data fills and I can’t get the data there.

4 Replies 4

Hi @cheryl_ernst and welcome to the community!

Are you sure that your lookup field in the “Availability” table is configured correctly? Did you select table AND field you want to lookup?

Hello! Thank you so much! I’ve learned a lot from the community and am excited to learn more.

I think so – the table is “Host Family Admin Items” and the field is “Homestay Status.” Should I do something else? I’m sure I’m missing something really basic here.

image001.png

Cheryl

Aha, but I see your field “Homestay Status …” above is empty. Your lookup field will only fill when it knows via which linked field it needs to get the info from. At least, that’s what I’m seeing in your first screenshot.

Ah – I see. I need to select the field. That worked.

Thank you so much!