1299 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spinderella13
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I've developed a solution on top of Airtable tailored for real estate investors. This tool helps manage properties, units, tenants, and leases efficiently. Recognizing that each investor has unique needs, I am also offering customization services to fit specific use cases and requirements.

My goal is to charge a monthly fee for using the solution, with additional fees for customization services. However, I’m uncertain about how to maintain control over the solution given it's built on Airtable. Specifically, I’m concerned about the following:

1. Preventing Unauthorized Distribution: Is there a way to prevent users from copying my solution and distributing it for free?
  2. Access Control: How can I ensure that access is removed if a user stops paying?

I would love to hear how others handle these challenges. Is it realistic to think that I can productize something built on Airtable? Are there any best practices or strategies for monetizing Airtable solutions that include both a subscription component and fee-for-service add-ons?

One idea I've considered is hosting the solution. I would have either separate workspaces for each client or I would have 1 workspace with separate bases/interfaces for each client and manage permissions at the base/interface level instead.

The airtable fees would be passthrough costs to the client and I'd add my solution fee on top. This also opens up the possibility of providing a hosted solution service where I manage user access and administration - again, this would be a separate fee.

Please poke holes in my thought process! Any insights, experiences, or alternative ideas for monetizing this solution would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your help!

6 Replies 6
NEF1QLSZ4U
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thank you for the message!

This is also an issue with the WordPress management. If you install an app using WordPress application, you give access to the user as they control plugins and all the stuff. A single installation allows access if you do not block it (author privileges). An example: GTM code allows users to copy when you upload the container. Only Laravel applications prevent access as you own property.  

In order to prevent users from duplicating the base, you need a system where the users do not have direct base access.

You may want to look into a third party portal system versus Airtable interface access. A third party portal system can also reduce your costs, as the per user costs are usually cheaper with a portal. If you give users direct edit access to an Airtable interface, you will have to pay for each Airtable user, which can get quite expensive.

Nicko54
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Why dont you embed the base into another site (e.g. wix) then have the page you have embedded the base into only accessible to paying members. Once people stop paying they wont have access to the page. There is also no airtable link to share as it is embedded in another page. 

Thanks kuovonne.

Do you have a recommendation for a third party system that would work well for this?

Hrmmm... I haven't looked into embedding bases into another site like wix. I just did a bit of searching though and it seems like embedding would give users read access but not edit? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If that's the case this solution wouldn't work for me. My clients will be managing their data in the system. 

I list some third party portal systems here.