Help

Re: New: web clipper updates (Jan 2020)

899 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi folks! The team has really enjoyed seeing how you all have been using the web clipper block + extension, and we’ve appreciated reading your feedback over the past few months. With your feedback in mind, today, we shipped a couple of improvements to the web clipper block that should make it even more useful:

• Linked record fields are now supported, allowing you to select an existing linked record when clipping from a web page.
  • You can now set a specific select option as the default value for single and multiple select fields.
  • Collaborator fields now support clip action user as a default value. (That means that when you use the browser extension to clip from a web page, the designated collaborator field will automatically fill with your name.)
  • Now, in addition to using CSS selectors to capture default values, you can also extract values from meta tags and HTML attributes.
6 Replies 6
Jean-Philippe_E
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Thanks ! New update are REALLY REALLY cool I can stop using the unofficial extension.
Thanks !

Tim_Connors
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This is great! I wish there was an ability to create NEW linked records with this tool during the web clipping process

Matthieu_Rouvin

Hi,
Web clipper is really cool !
Would be even greater if you could add a few action like “click a button” or “scroll” in order to reveal some more data on web pages.
Thanks

Nico_Giron
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Please, don’t take the browser scroll bar in a page screenshot

Javier_Maso_Tal
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi!
Could someone point me to where can I find any documentation on how to do the extraction of HTML attributes?? (I’m trying to get an URL from a REF attribute with absolutely no luck…)
I’m a newbie and can’t find it that kind of documentation anywhere :grinning_face_with_sweat:

Thanks!!!

Sry for the late reply but could you please elaborate on where exactly you’re stuck, assuming this is still relevant to you?

The moral of a great story might even surprise its storyteller, and frankly, you still haven’t said much beyond asking for instructions on how to accomplish a vague goal that could mean a hundred different things. Are you literally only targeting a single url? Or a single type of urls? Or multiple types? Do you know how many, exactly? Or approximately? From one domain? More? How many? Can you share an example page? Are you sure this url is what your next best move is, because come on, who wants a url? We all want the resource behind it. Or the resource we think is behind it. Or was it the one afterward?

Given your choice of a thread in which to post, I assume you’re meaning to extract this url manually? With the WebClipper? Is this a one-time thing? Probably not, if you’re seeking a better way to do it, right? But then again, why not automate the process in that case? Partially, at least, as the access to WebClipper means you also have access to Airtable Automations? There can often be less guessing involved when dealing with their UI over trying to configure a CSS grab that’s always waiting for your cue to move anyway… You sure you want to learn how to to scraping, in general? Even if only with the WebClipper?

As you can see, the real data needing extraction here is the one that still needs to come from you :slightly_smiling_face: try getting into the habit of sharing such details proactively if it’s help you’re after, no matter the niche.

For IT stuff, this tends to be a pretty safe format:

I did this:
The computer then did this:
But I expected/wanted it to do this:

Oh, and generally speaking, ask yourself if you really want to learn about data scraping, or if you only care about that singular url? Or perhaps a single source of one or more types of urls?

Even if you’ve given up by now, I hope this at least shed some light on why no one responded for weeks… :confused: There’s just not enough info provided to say anything with certainty. Apart from perhaps that you need to work on your google-fu:

example step 1

example step 2

)