cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
William_Huxley
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi all,

I’m trying to use an IF formula to convert “Y” and “N” text strings into Single Selects titled “Upgraded” and “Not Upgraded”.

Here’s the Airtable document: https://airtable.com/invite/l?inviteId=inv2cn0Kk8vSLJcdj&inviteToken=65adac3e71ede9340db2d2c9d4fc589...

I have a formula for converting the Y or N into a text string, but cannot find a way to – or any documentation for – converting them into Single Selects.

I need something that will automate this process; it can’t be done manually. New records will be added continuously to the Airtable.

Any help you can offer will be much appreciated.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Hi @William_Huxley

There’s currently no way of doing this inside Airtable - the results of formulae can only be displayed in the formula field which can’t be a single select.

However, it would be possible to update the record using Zapier - but there are restrictions in that you are limited to only running any particular Zap against a record once - this would be difficult if this indicator changes many times.

Alternatively, depending upon the use case, you could have a formula field which displays an emoji or similar icon - or simply use a checkbox field…

William_Huxley

@Julian_Kirkness Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

However, it would be possible to update the record using Zapier - but there are restrictions in that you are limited to only running any particular Zap against a record once - this would be difficult if this indicator changes many times.

Would you be so kind as to expand on how I can change text to a single select using Zapier. It sounds like a promising solution.

Thanks again!

Hi @William_Huxley

Updating with Zapier…

In general, the way this is done is to use a new record (or new record in view) trigger in Zapier to pick up the record and then an update record action to update it.

In this case, however, we need to also work out whether the Single select field should be Upgraded or Not Upgraded. The process could be run using two zaps - one filtering the Y valued records and the other the N records - but in this case I decided to use a very short piece of Javascript in a Code action in Zapier (it make the process simpler).

Here’s the table:

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 23.10.27.png![51|690x302]

Ignore the fact that the Upgraded field is already completed (I only took 1 screenshot).

Here is the Zap:

The first step is triggered by a new record - it’e likely in real life that a New Record in View would be more useful:

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 23.10.51.png

The second step is a code action (in Javascript) which simply uses and if…else construct to work out which value the Single Select should be:

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 23.11.21.png

This is no more complicated really than the type of ifs we are used to in spreadsheets.

The final step is the record update step:

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 23.11.56.png

Here we take the record from the first step and update the Upgraded field with the value calculated in the second step.

And that’s it - it certainly took much longer to write up than it took to set up the table and Zap!

Hope this helps!

Hi @Julian_Kirkness, is it possible today ?

Hi @Bastien_Vairet

Yes it is possible today using conditional steps in an Automation.

Julian

Thank you. Would you have a tutorial ?