Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Re: Pulling information from one table based on Single Select from another table

Solved
Jump to Solution
37 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JQ
1 - Visitor
1 - Visitor

Hello folks!

Total newb here!

I have a base with 2 tables. Table 1 is orders that are placed by customers. Table 2 is a list of those products with a corresponding URL to the image.

I'm trying to have the Cover Art field in Table 1 populate with the corresponding date from Cover Art URL in Table 2; based on the Product field in Table1 when the customer places the order.

Basically when a customer places an order, I want the Cover Art field in Table 1 to pull the appropriate URL from Table 2, based on the Product field in Table 1.  Does that sound utterly confusing?

I've attached some screenshots in case it's helpful.

I've been spinning around online trying to figure out how to accomplish something I believe is actually simple.

With grace,

JQ

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi JQ,

Welcome to Airtable! Nice job figuring out the linked field & lookup, that's a great solution!

When you are using a linked field in another table, it will always show the Primary Field of each linked record. In this case it looks like your Table 1 has the date as the Primary Field (the first column of the table), so that's why it's populating the date in Table 2.

You can easily change the Primary Field of Table 1 to something more identifiable, like Last Name, by right-clicking on the header of the field and clicking "Change primary field". Note that there is only one Primary field for every table, so if you link those records to another table, whatever you set it to will also show up as the Primary Field there.

I hope that helps -- feel free to let us know if there is anything else you run into!

Rowan

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
JQ
1 - Visitor
1 - Visitor

Update:

I figured out how to get the Table 1 to pull from Table 2 by making linking the Product field in Table 1 to Table 2.

Then, when adding the Lookup field, I made sure to select the corresponding field in table 2 I wanted it to pull the information from.

However, there's a small detail that's bugging me.... Table 2 now has a field that says EP Sales Tracking 2 and it's populating with the dates to the corresponding orders. 

Is there away to change the field that populates this field on Table 2? If not, I'm fine with just hiding it and ignoring, but figured I'd ask.

I attached some screenshots.

With grace,

JQ

Hi JQ,

Welcome to Airtable! Nice job figuring out the linked field & lookup, that's a great solution!

When you are using a linked field in another table, it will always show the Primary Field of each linked record. In this case it looks like your Table 1 has the date as the Primary Field (the first column of the table), so that's why it's populating the date in Table 2.

You can easily change the Primary Field of Table 1 to something more identifiable, like Last Name, by right-clicking on the header of the field and clicking "Change primary field". Note that there is only one Primary field for every table, so if you link those records to another table, whatever you set it to will also show up as the Primary Field there.

I hope that helps -- feel free to let us know if there is anything else you run into!

Rowan

@MxRowanP that makes sense. Thanks for that insight, that's super helpful.