Help

Re: Reoccurring tasks that can be checked off independently per record.

1256 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Brotherhoo
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello,

I'd like to create a list of reoccurring tasks for each record I create - but I want to be able to check them off independently per record.

Currently, when I check off the task within one record, it updates the task in all records that the task is added.

I'm stuck!

Thanks in advance.  

7 Replies 7
CJSmith
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi @John_Brotherhoo, could you give a little more detail of the base structure? For example:

• Are the parent records and child records in separate tables and linked via linked record field? Or all they all in the same table?
  • Do you have any automations active that would check boxes for child records when the parent record is checked?
  • How are the child records created? 
John_Brotherhoo

Hi CJ,

Thanks for the reply!

I currently have a 'Projects' table with a 'Tasks' column as a linked record to a 'Tasks' table, where each task is its own record.

I don't have any automation set for child vs parent record checking - would that help solve it?

I'm a bit of a beginner, to be honest. 

Cheers

Hi @John_Brotherhoo, thanks for the context! This situation would be a great candidate for the List view, whereby you can bring Projects into your Tasks tab and mark them off separately, following a little configuration.

To configure a List view:

• In your Tasks tab, navigate to the bottom of the left-hand panel and select "List" under "Create..."
  • Click "Select Levels" - in step 1 ("Choose what data to show at each level"), click "+ Add a level above", then "Select table" > "Projects"
  • Click next, then click next again through step 2 (should be configured correctly)
  • In step 3 ("Choose which fields to display"), pick the fields you want to display on each level - most importantly, make sure any "complete" checkboxes are included here
  • Hit "Done"

This will create a list that organizes tasks underneath the projects they're connected to via linked records, and will allow you to interact with both projects and tasks within the same view. Let me know if that works or if you have any questions!

So you're marking Task 1 for Project A as complete, but this is causing Task 1 for Project B to also be complete?

If so, sounds like Task 1's linked to both Project A and Project B.  You're going to need to create one "Task 1" record for each project record, and the repeating groups action in automations might help with this

Hi CJ,

That sounds like a great feature - I'll try it out.

Thanks! 

Hey Adam,

Thanks for the suggestion.  

Yes, exactly that! I did play around with repeating groups, but couldn't quite get it to work correctly.

I will have another go though.

Thank you,

John

John_Brotherhoo

Ok, to update on this - I now have an automation that adds the tasks from a template each time a record is created in 'Projects'. 

I now need a way to check off the tasks independantly for each record they're in. So one task checked off in record A, doesn't update the same task in record B.

Cheers