4796 15
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mike_Eovino
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Is there a way to reorder the items in a link column? Right now, they display in the reverse order in which they were entered, and I can’t find a way to change the order other than deleting and re-adding. It would be handy to be able to control the order in which they display.

15 Replies 15
Jason_Woltz
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Noticed the same thing and did it manually myself as you described. +1 for this to get a look from devs.

Kasra_Kyanzade1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

We’re working on it! :slightly_smiling_face:

Awesome, thanks for the feedback!

Is it possible for the Airtable employees to be visibly recognizable on these forums? Like a badge or name in a specific color, etc.

Just saw this. Thank you guys very much!

Ryan_Schaper
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Could the reordering be automatically based to the order in the linked table, or a specific view of that table?

Lyndon_Penson1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Expand the record and drag and drop them into a different sequence.

That does it for me, but did I misunderstand?

Andy_Fletcher
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Any update to this? We have an ordered list that gets created then we need use that list in a formula to build the reference name. This doesn’t work properly for us as the formula for the ARRAYJOIN reverses the order of the items in our ordered column. We need the data to be displayed in the order desired otherwise it becomes very confusing for the users/viewers.

Manuel_Gnerlich

Is there a solving that problem?

This is probably a simple solution because what ever order you give to item a,b,c it is always displayed as 3,2,1 therefore the alphanumeric order is just reversed. But it need to be attended and apparently it’s not considered urgent…

Adam_Ennis
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Converting a comma-separated list to a Linked Record clearly reverses the order, which is undesirable behavior when order matters.

“Rehabilitation Center, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy”

clearly becomes

“Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Rehabilitation Center”

Interestingly enough, when I copied the linked record field into this message, it reverses it yet again.

I looked throughout the community for a workaround to no avail. Any updates here? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
æ

Adam, If you add a lookup field of the “list field” it will reverse the order. In other words it will appears in chronological order. You can then use this lookup field for displaying the correct order; first to last unlike linked field where last link is always displayed first… Good luck.

ben_L
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi, has this issue been addressed yet? I’m still seeing the same issues on linked tables. The lookup ‘work around’ doesn’t link to the source data which I’d like to retain. How can this be addressed?

Thanks Ben

Hi @ben_L, have a look at this reply it might help you. Lookup integer sorting order

Lukas_Rieder
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

2020, we need an update on this issue. Array ordering is very important, and the UI suggests order can be retained. However the API just returns the plain reverse order, messing with any system that depends on Airtable.

We need an official backing this up, and documenting this mess. I cannot send editors around now manually reversing every list they have created, if this is clearly a bug and should be fixed on Airtable side.

What is the official stance on this? Please don’t let this die in the useless self-help forums…

Hi Lukas, I don’t think it’s a bug. It is quiet logical to have the last link on top of the list. Now the solution is very easy and you don’t have to manually change the order but instead create a Rollup field that will come in the opposite order of the linked field. Just read my previous post just above yours. we use my solution for printing packing lists and it is the only solution that I’m aware of right now. When I contacted support last year they were not even aware that it could be a problem. Good luck.
BTW a Rollup field always comes into reverse order… I hope they will never fix the rollup order otherwise we’ll be screwed.