673 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cheryl_Slokker
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Need help with end of year reporting. I have a field (goals - multiple choices) that is inserted into each record. Some records have multiple goals. I want to sort by individual goals - any advice? I have only been able to sort by group record, which doesn’t really help. Thank you!

1 Reply 1

Welcome to the community, Cheryl! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: If I read you correctly, your {Goals} field is a multi-select, and you want to sort by individual things in that field, but some records have more than one choice. Is that correct?

When sorting by a multi-select, the sorting algorithm operates on the concatenated text of all visible options for a record, not just a single option, So sorting by a multi-select is problematic at best.

What you’ll need to do is print (I’m guessing you’re talking about printing; if not, let us know) separate filtered views that each target a single goal. For example, say you have Goal1, Goal2, etc, all the way to Goal7. Looking at the {Goals} field, it might look like this across several records:

Goal1
Goal3 Goal5
Goal3
Goal2 Goal3
Goal4

Make a new view just for printing these reports, and add a filter to only show a single goal. With this example, if I only show records with Goal1, only one record will appear.

If I isolate Goal3, three records will appear.

Goal3 Goal5
Goal3
Goal2 Goal3

In other words, what will print will be any records that contain Goal3, even if other goals are also selected.

Does that help to clarify things?