Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alex_Malov
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi!

Trying to set up something like this:

Date (column) which I am turning into a number using DATETIME_FORMAT({Date},‘YYMMDD’).

:thumbs_up:

Have an Auto Number column as well that generates a number with leading zeros using:

REPT(
‘0’,
3-LEN(
{Number}&’’
)
)&
{Number}

:thumbs_up:

However, I’d like the auto number to reset to 001 on each new day and if a new entry is added with a date where several records already exist 001,002,003 … then the number should be +1 for that day and create a record with a YYMMDD-004.

Is this possible?

14 Replies 14
Thomas_Lea
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi, that is very impressive. I’m trying to create a way of pausing autonumber for certain conditions. I’m using it to record order numbers. some have single lines and some have multiple lines which need the same order number. I have been struggling for a while, but I just can’t get a workaround. Any ideas would be really welcome.

All the mechanisms I can think of to all for a ‘pausing’ of autonumber run afoul of Airtable’s prohibitions against [potential] circular references.

Well, except one: Create a table called [OrderNumber]. Define only the primary field as an autonumber field. In your main table, define an {OrderNumber} field as a linked-record field pointing to the [OrderNumber] table with linking to multiple records disabled. You’ll have to set your link to [OrderNumber] manually for each new record, but at least you’ll be able to track single- and multi-line orders correctly…

Adrian_Boo
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi guys,
it is amazing what you build.

in my case, I want to create the ID of some devices I sell. So, I would like to concatenate the version of the device with an autonumber that restart automatically when version changed.

So I have a column to name the version, and have other column to autonumber, but I need to make a formula to restart the autonumber each time that I change the version.

Do you think it is possible?

Bob_Davidson
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I just wanted to chime in and say… “I was attempting”… but damn, impressive. I don’t care how messy. :slightly_smiling_face:

Amaury_Halle1
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi @W_Vann_Hall impressive work, thanks!
Is this solution still true 2-3 years later after this first post?
I wonder because, a string is suppose to have limit of 100.000 characters. Which means the DataString field in the Calc table will quickly hit its maximum character and the calculation will no longer work.
Am I wrong?
thanks!