cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
olivia_lay
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi,

I’m using a dynamic PDF tool (ELEDO) which gets info from Airtable to populate a contract.
Sadly, this tool can’t loop through a list of record and extract informations I need.
In particular, I have a link field of which I need to extract each individual record to populate fields which its linked content.
I’ve look into the automation but there’s no option to split infos of my linked field.
The closest think I read was this article but the link inside is dead and I don’t want to create new tables but populate fields inside the same table.
The entire Use case is this.

• I have a children table
  • I have a parent table
    -I have a link field which contains the list of children inside a parent record
  • I want to split the link record into other field: child 1, child 2, child 3… which are populated with records inside the link record
    Any idea ?
2 Replies 2

Welcome to the community, @olivia_lay!

You are correct that Airtable’s Automations can’t loop through records. However, there are a few different options for doing record looping in Airtable:

1. There is a workaround that you can do in Airtable that tricks Airtable’s Automations into looping through multiple records. This trick requires 2 different automations, along with setting up an extra “utility table”. I discuss how to do it in this episode of the BuiltOnAir video podcast:
  1. You can write your own Javascript code. I don’t know Javascript, so I can’t help you there. Somebody else would need to chime in below to help you with a Javascript on that, or maybe you will find some Javascript by searching through the forum. (It seems like that base you linked to in the Airtable Universe might have some scripting insights on how to do this, but for some reason, I can’t get its scripting extension to load right now. It’s possible that Airtable is having problems with extensions right now.)

2. The easiest & simplest & quickest way that I know of how to do this is to simply use Make.com, which is a low-code automation & integration tool that ALWAYS loops through the records that you find in Airtable. It also communicates natively with both Airtable & Eledo:

olivia_lay
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thanks, I’m gonna look into that :slightly_smiling_face: