cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bart_S06
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi guys, 

I'm trying to connect Airtable with Make. My Make.com module is returning "Status Code Error: 403" and I can't connect up my Airtable. 

I initially had it working and then created some new bases, so I generated a new Personal Access Token. Not working. Have tried different permissions. Logging out, logging in (I know). Etc. 

Any suggestions?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Unfortunately, Make has incorrect instructions on its website for setting up Airtable connections.

To create a personal access token for Make’s Airtable integrations and automations, you will need to take these steps:

a) Log into Airtable with an account that has owner permissions. IMPORTANT: This should be an account that will never get deleted from Airtable. If this account ever gets deleted from Airtable, then your automations & integrations will stop working. (If you have an enterprise account, you can use a service account, which is a non-user account.)

b) Pull down from the profile icon in the upper right corner of the screen and pull down to “Developer Hub”.

c) On the next page, click on the blue button in the upper right that says "Create new token”.

d) For "Name", type “Make”.

e) Under “Scopes”, keep clicking on the “Add a scope” button until you’ve added these 3 scopes:
data.records:read
data.records:write
schema.bases:read

f) For “Access", click on "Add a base” and choose “All current and future bases in all current and future workspaces”.

g) Click on the blue button that says “Create token”.

h) IMPORTANT: Your personal access token will only be shown once, and it will never be shown to you again. Copy and paste this token for yourself, and use this PAT when adding the connection in Make.

p.s. I am the #1 Airtable/Make expert in the entire Airtable community. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Unfortunately, Make has incorrect instructions on its website for setting up Airtable connections.

To create a personal access token for Make’s Airtable integrations and automations, you will need to take these steps:

a) Log into Airtable with an account that has owner permissions. IMPORTANT: This should be an account that will never get deleted from Airtable. If this account ever gets deleted from Airtable, then your automations & integrations will stop working. (If you have an enterprise account, you can use a service account, which is a non-user account.)

b) Pull down from the profile icon in the upper right corner of the screen and pull down to “Developer Hub”.

c) On the next page, click on the blue button in the upper right that says "Create new token”.

d) For "Name", type “Make”.

e) Under “Scopes”, keep clicking on the “Add a scope” button until you’ve added these 3 scopes:
data.records:read
data.records:write
schema.bases:read

f) For “Access", click on "Add a base” and choose “All current and future bases in all current and future workspaces”.

g) Click on the blue button that says “Create token”.

h) IMPORTANT: Your personal access token will only be shown once, and it will never be shown to you again. Copy and paste this token for yourself, and use this PAT when adding the connection in Make.

p.s. I am the #1 Airtable/Make expert in the entire Airtable community. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld

Thank you very much Scottworld,
your answer really helped me.

PAT = Personal Access Token.

As I had a little more time today, I tried to be more restrictive on :
- SCOPES: I didn't allow data.records:write ;
- BASES: I restricted MAKE access to a single Base;

The result was positive: it works too.
This is good news, because I was able to show that a Make Scenario can use a PAT that authorizes it to write to an Airtable Base while another MAKE Scenario can use a PAT that only allows it to read an Airtable Base.

Next one, I've been able to show that it's the schema.bases:read SCOPE that's essential, in addition to the data.records:read and possibly data.records:write SCOPES to avoid a 403 error.

I was finally able to show that the PAT Name doesn't matter in relation to this 403 error, as long as you name the PAT like a variable in a scripting language, for example.

Thank you again for having initially fixed this 403 error, the origin of which was difficult to detect in this context, especially for someone like me who only uses MAKE Scenario creation from time to time.

oLπ